VideoTech
VideoTech, Technician
Experience:  30 years servicing Video Electronics
26807325

I have a Sears automotive battery charger that has stopped

Customer Question

I have a Sears automotive battery charger that has stopped charging. The indicator panel still works. Tne webpage shows an SCR and a circuit breaker that are no longer available and no substitutes or specifications are shown. The transformer is OK.

Do you have any info on part numbers, spec's, details, etc. that I could use to ID the SCR or circuit breaker for replacement?

Model # XXXXX

Jim XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
360=509=9273
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  VideoTech replied 2 years ago.

Take a close look at the body of that SCR. There's an Alpa-number on it that we cross over to parts suppliers.

Here's an example of an SCR part number --

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will look and send SCR number tomorrow AM Jul 9. Charger not accessible right now.
Expert:  VideoTech replied 2 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The numbers on the SCR (actually 2 on the board) are:

1141S board label.

S838 and 41024 both numbers on both SCRs..

there are no mfgr ID symbols on either SCR , the numbers above are the only identification. The output circuit breaker is rated 12VDC and 50A. Maybey this will help confirm the rating of the SCRs.

Thanks for your help. I'll try to be faster to respond.

Expert:  VideoTech replied 2 years ago.

Well the cross references didn't help, but a 50 amp SCR is going to have some major spade lugs and wires connecting it. At the bottom of this data sheet is a drawing of the SCR

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/5500to5599/pdf/nte5534a.pdf

There's actually 3 types of packages that SCRs come in

graphic

graphic

And then of course the big square black units with spade lugs on top.

Can't find a picture of that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well I think we did as much as anyone could to ID the SCRs. Thanks for giving it a shot. your efforts are appreciated.
Expert:  VideoTech replied 2 years ago.

I think you miss the point. If the numbers aren't matching...you simply look at the Type, then select a current rating.. If it has a 50 amp circuit breaker on the 12 Volt supply (not the AC side) then the SCR is 50 amp.

Scrs are nothing more than an on/off switch for DC voltage, with the benefits of being a rectifier for AC too.

And if you like the charger for "fond memories", its worth resurrecting it. It's not as easy as walking into Sears and stating the part numbers and them having it stocked.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope, there is no sentimental value for this charger, I just like to make things work, even if I need to fix them occasionally. The 2 SCRs pictured in your response are not like the two in this charger. These are similiar in appearence to the top device, yet bulkier. I have no additional info that may help.

I am ready to call it done. I am satisfied with your effort even tho the charger is not working, and that is fine. I am completely satisfied and do not want to pursue the search any further. I want to say thank you and if I have another problem in your area of expertise I have will have no reservations in requesting you as my tech expert. The service and response were excellent.

Expert:  VideoTech replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I just wanted you to understand that there's nothing "Special" about SCRs or Thyristers....as long as you have the Amp rating and can trigger the gate/switch... it's good to go. Nothing else honestly needed but the Gate switch.