Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Panasonic DVD Recorder, DMR-ES15

Customer Question

Hi, my Panasonic DVD Recorder, DMR-ES15, has stopped working. When I switch it on, it makes a skidding noise before a "U61" error message appears. Is this fixable? Can I do it myself or do I need to bring the machine in to one of your repair centres. If so, which would be the nearest Panasonic repair centre in Sydney, Australia?

All I would like to be able to do is finalise a couple of discs that I recorded but didn't get a chance to finalise before the machine bust...

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, the described error code/message indicates a logic processing error, software, and as shown below from the Service Manual.

graphic

While it is described as such, it is actually more of a hardware issue or more particularly low or missing voltage in the digital/logic board. In most instances, this would be as a result of a leaky capacitor.

It would be an internal hardware issue. Still, there is a possible fix; though not quick-n-easy and neither is there a workaround. The unit would have to be opened up for visual inspection, voltage measurements, confirm fault and effect repairs.

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Panasonic Service Center or an independent repair shop / qualified professional;
  • evaluate other options considering cost of repair, down time, cost of shipping, parts availability and comparable prices of newer/better models.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should you need additional information.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a way to finalise my discs other than getting my Panasonic DVD Recorder repaired?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
If you would consider through a computer equipped with a DVD writer, use Nero 9 to perform a DVD to DVD copy:
  • load the un-finalized disc;
  • run Nero StartSmart;
  • click on Rip & Burn tab;
  • select Copy Disc;
  • choose Copy entire disc.
  • proceed following on-screen instructions;
  • eject un-finalized disc and load blank when instructed (would take some time before instructed);
  • once blank is burned, open Disc Tools;
  • click on Finalize disc.

Alternately:
  • in Nero Application List, click on Nero Recorder;
  • choose Recode an entire DVD to DVD;
  • click on Fit to Target of 4.7Gb;
  • choose Import DVD;
  • if it can be read, then it would be ripped and saved in the computer's HD or Nero would ask for a blank disc to burn anew. Ensure the 2nd copy is finalized
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.