Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Technician
Experience:  ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN WITH 15 YEARS EXPERIENCE
41498811

How to make sound go from tv through home theater system? I

How to make sound go from tv through home theater system?

I have an LCD tv and a Samsung "DVD home cinema system" which is connected to 5 speakers. The speakers work when I play a DVD on the system, but when I change the input to the cable connection, there is only tv sound. There is also an Apple TV hooked up and I would like to have sound from that input go through the nice speakers too.

Thank you.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you. So on the back of your DVD home cinema you should see jack pugs which normally are listed as TV in (Input) or AUX in. Those are other channels which can be used to connect additional input devices such as TV, game console etc to it. ON the back of the TV you should see Audio out jacks and what you need now is a wire with 2 jack and connect between the TV out and the DVD in. Then from the dvd choose which input you are using such as TV or AUX and the sould should come out of the DVD. For best result keep TV volume low and use the Home cinema volume.IF you need further assistance let me know.Noel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, here's what I did:

1. Attached optical digital audio cable to the correct ports on tv and dvd player.
2. Changed the setting on the tv to use external speakers.

When I do this, everything is quiet. No sound anywhere.

The dvd home theater speakers work when I play a dvd. And I already played with the volume on both the tv and dvd player to rule that out.

What should I do now?
On the dvd you should set it on to the external input as optical in. That should workNoel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention that I already looked for such an option, there isn't one. Perhaps you can refer to the instruction manual of this model if I"m wrong.
Ok here is the manual for your unit.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201004/20100408094617343/HT-C450-NO-EUR-ENG-HDMI-0219.pdf

Go to page 21 it describes exactly how to connect an external audio in you case TV. On the DVD you need to set D.IN as input.

noel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. I think this is enough to say you answered the question. I will accept your answer, but please let me know your thoughts on the following, since this still isn't set up as I had wished.

Instead of the audio going from the tv to the dvd player, I had to make it go from the cable-box to the dvd player. Now, HD HBO works with the full 5 speaker surround sound, pretty cool.

However, there are still some snags.

1. Since the sound doesn't come from the tv, I can't use the 5 speaker sound with my Apple tv unless I disconnect the audio cable from the cable box and attach it to the apple tv. Is there a way around this? Why can't all the sound from the tv just go through the dvd speaker system?

2. Most things only output sound in to the left, right, and woofer speakers. I'm guessing this is because that's basic stereo and there's no data to go to the other 3 speakers (mid, back left, back right). HD HBO and DVD's output to all the speakers. I already changed the setting to dolby from stereo. It seems like it'd be good if it could use all the speakers, even when it's only a stereo sound feed. Why doesn't it do this? How can I fix this?

Thanks.
So for the first question, if you connect the tv directly to the surround and if the cable box go to the tv, you should be able to hear all the sound which normally comes out of the tv through your surround. As for the second question, if the sound is not surround which most of the time on TV is not then it will be heard only on the front and woofer speakers. unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it.

Noel
Noel Schembri, Technician
Experience: ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN WITH 15 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
"So for the first question, if you connect the tv directly to the surround and if the cable box go to the tv, you should be able to hear all the sound which normally comes out of the tv through your surround."

Unfortunately it's not working for some reason. This is what we tried to do before. I could only get it to work by having audio go straight from the cable to the dvd player.

If you have any idea why it's not working, please let me know.