Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.

Pioneer vsx-d812 stand by light blinks but will not turn on.

Pioneer vsx-d812 stand by light blinks but will not turn on. What to do?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I am Pete, and I'll be glad to assist with your question today.

Electronics Pete :

Have you tried disconnecting all of the speakers and then turning it on to see if this stops the standby light blinking?

Customer:

no I will do that now

Customer:

disconnected all components and speakers - no change

Electronics Pete :

Ok, can you try a reset:

Customer:

what do I do?

Electronics Pete :

1. Turn the receiver on.
2. Hold down the TONE button, then press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
3. When you see RESET? in the display, press the TONE button to confirm.
4. When you see OK? in the display, press the TONE button to confirm.
5. OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver has been reset.

Customer:

no change - just goes back to stand by blink

Electronics Pete :

Ok, if the above solutions do not work then it's likely that there is a problem with the power supply board in the unit.

Customer:

Fuse is good - any thing else to check inside?

Electronics Pete :

Any of the components on the power board may have failed.

Electronics Pete :

Sometimes faulty components can be seen visibly. eg burned or bulged.

Electronics Pete :

Otherwise they will need to be tested.

Electronics Pete :

If you have some experience in electronic repair, you can attempt to troubleshoot and fix this problem yourself.

Electronics Pete :

Otherwise, you will need to take it to an electronics repair shop.

Customer:

are there more than 2 fuses in the unit?

Electronics Pete :

No, only two.

Electronics Pete :

If you are receiving power (standby light is on or flashing) then the fuses are ok.

Electronics Pete :

It's likely that some other component(s) on the power supply board have failed.

Electronics Pete :

The most common parts to fail are the electrolytic capacitors.

Electronics Pete :

If you visually inspect these, they may appear bulged or leaking, but it is not always possible to tell if they have failed just by looking at them.

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience: 12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.