Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

cannot connect my sony wireless headphones to my sony tv it

Customer Question

cannot connect my sony wireless headphones to my sony tv it was working but now no connection from transmitter model is TMR-RF865R
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Eng. Andres replied 4 years ago.
hi, thanks for using JA:

You may have accidentally changed the RF channel where the transmitter sends the sound signal to the headphones. There three main RF channels-each one is associated to different RFs bands. What we will, firstly, is to reconfigure the RF use in your heaphones. To do so, simply push the Auto Tunning button in one side of the headphones. Here is a picture where the button is visible:

Once pushed-the transmitter must to be turned on with an available audio input signal-, see if you have sound. If not, keep reading.

What we will do is configure the headphones with another RF. To do so, simply slide the switch located at the headphone's base:

Try another channel diferent from the one that you have now selected. Slide the switch in the transmitter, and then push the Auto Tunning button in the headphones. Test now if you have sound.

If you do not have sound, we will run a little test to be sure that the headphones are the problem. Simply, connect an MP3 player to audio in of the headphone's transmitter. Once done, start playing something in the MP3. Press the Auto tunning button again in your headphones and test if you can hear the Mp3 music. Let me know the results of the test to follow up with your issue in case it's necessary.

Regards! If that helped, don't forget to accept my answer!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Still no sound from my iphone
hi,

Thank you for your repply. Please, take a look at the headphone Power LED and tell me if it's still, lid or it's completly turned off. Also, could you tell me the when you bought the headphones?

Just to verify, turn the volume of the iPhone to its maximun. Then, test the headphones in another RF channel-switch to another channel in the base and then press auto tunning. Let me know if you have sound.

Regards!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bought 2weeks. ago. Light is on. It seems to be a problem from the tv to the transmitter. Can I use hdmi signal or only analogue. Also with the speakers from the tv should I only use speakers from the tv rather than from the audio system. It was working perfectly but I must have done something wrong. Also I have used the red/white into the transmitter and the single wire into the headphones connection on the tv. Regards stan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did not mean to accept your answer still not working
hi Stan,

Thank you for your repply. Could you confirm that the Sony headphones do not work with your iPhone? I'm almost sure that the problem is the headphones, and not rather the configurations that we use in them. It can also be a problem with interferences, where the transmitted cannot reach the headphones. But, before I can give you an accurate answer, could you confirm that you cannot hear anything coming from your iPhone wile it's pluged in your Sony headphones?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that is correct I cannot hear anything from my I phone nor from another tv that I tried.the green light is on however and the red light comes on when I put it on the transmitter for charging. It was only two days ago that it was working
Hi Stan,

Thank you for your repply. As we have tested the headphones with two different audio sources and the headphones do not work, I would suspect that the headphones are defective. Just to verify that the problem is not any RF frequency interference, please, test the headphones in another room of your house. If they do not work, then we will be sure that the headphones are defective.

In this situation, you cannot do anything else in the configuration of the headphones, or any other test. I would suspect that the issue is with the RF receiver in headphone, that is defective. As you see the light in the headset, it's receiving power so it is not a power issue. It's not also a problem with the DSP as you will hear at least some noise in the headset. The problem here is that the RF receiver is completely defective, and the headphones do not receive any audio signal from the tranmitter.

The only solution is replacing the whole unit by a new one. Sony will covered the costs of the reparation as the product is under warranty. To ask for repair/replacement, please, call at the number showed bellow:

Priority Service: 239-768-7547
Hours:
Mon-Fri 8:00am-12:00am (Midnight) ET
Sat-Sun 9:00am-8:00pm ET

Unfortunately, replacing the unit is the only solution to this issue.

Regards, thank you again for using JustAnswer.