Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I bought a DVD/VHS home Theater Sound system from Sears couple

I bought a DVD/VHS home Theater Sound system from Sears couple of years ago but now the DVD compactment is stuck.I took it to Sears for repair but it came back that the part is no longer available.Well the whole system is still working except the DVD so they advised me to buy a separate DVD player and use it with the home theater.This have done but the DVD will not work with the home theater but works if connected directly to the TV. Please I need help getting this to work with the home theater.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, post back with the model numbers of the home theater, the DVD player and the TV.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
home theater:-SA-HT830v PANASONIC
DVD player:-DVP-SR200P SONY

Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
For some reason, the Samsung TV model number is XXXXX as a not valid product number.

Still, proposed connection:
  • from the Sony's VIDEO OUT (yellow jack) to the Panasonic's EXT / IN VIDEO;
  • from Sony's AUDIO OUT L & R (white & red jacks) to the Panasonic's EXT / IN L & R;
  • with plugs and jacks color matching using a set of yellow, white & red RCA to RCA cable;
  • set the Panasonic to EXT by pressing on the DVD/VHS to select VHS;
  • press UP CH or DOWN CH to select AV.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ihave tried your suggestion but it still doesn't work.the panasonic remote does not work on the TV.the message on the screen says "cannot find signal"what can I do next to make this work.FYI--the VHS plays but not the DVD
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
With the above connections in place, a review:
  • play a DVD movie disc on the Sony and let it run;
  • play a VHS tape on the Panasonic;
  • confirm that the VHS movie is shown on the TV and heard on the speakers connected to the SA-HT830V;
  • press STOP on the Panasonic only;
  • without pressing any other button, use the Panasonic remote and press CH DOWN until AV is selected;
  • check if the DVD movie is now shown on the TV and/or if the DVD movie sound is heard on the Panasonic speakers.

Post back results of above review/test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It did not work yet though I have to sleep.Get back to you later in the day.Good night
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
I understand.

When able, please post back at which point " did not work...":
  • VHS movie is shown on the TV;
  • press CH DOWN until AV is selected
  • DVD movie is now shown on the TV;
  • DVD movie sound is heard on the Panasonic speakers.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok,I'm back.Since I tried your last suggestion,the VHS plays on TV but is no longer heard on the home theater.With yellow,red and white cable from DVD player (out) to panasonic IN/video and from panasonic to TV (out)the VHS plays on TV without being heard on the panasonic speakers but heard o TV speakers.If I press the DVD/VHS button on the panasonic remote,it stops plays and after searching for signal,comes back to say --"signal not found".I have spent a lot of time on this and will want to get it resolved this night.Is there a phone # XXXXX I can call you for a quicker resolution?
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
For your security and protection, direct communication is not allowed.

Will the Panasonic work in FM mode?

After playing a VHS tape and pressing STOP, press CH DOWN a copuple of times until AV is selected.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, it works in FM mode and it looks like it's working now and I just need some tips on sound control to get the best of theater effect.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Great! Glad that the main issue appears to have been resolved, congratulations.

Best / preferred effects would largely be dependent on speaker placement. The rule of thumb would be to place the center speaker at ear level while the subwoofer at a corner or floor level. All others would be to your discretion.

One setting to improve sound quality would be to enhance the bass by pressing on the H. BASS SUBWOOFER LEVEL a couple of times to cycle through the SUB W # XXXXX to your liking.

Others that could be tried are all in the Audio Menu:
  • Dolby Pro Logic II - press the SLEEP DD PL II;
  • Dialog Enhancer - On;
  • Sound Enhancement - On.