Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Multimedia Speaker System made

My Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Multimedia Speaker System made a fuzzy buzzing static sound and then power was lost to the control box. System will not power back up.

What, if any, is the location of a fuse that could be checked on the system?

What is needed to upgrade system parts on this unit?

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I am Pete, and I'll be glad to assist with your question today.

Electronics Pete :

The fuse is on the sub amp. You will have to remove it from sub box to check it.

Electronics Pete :

Whilst checking inside the sub box, also have a look for any burned out components.

Electronics Pete :

This unit is known for having problems with burning out amp components.

Electronics Pete :

If you find any burned or blown components and are unable to carry out the repair yourself, there is a repair center in Texas that fixes these Klipsch systems for around $100: http://www.elliot-tronics.com/

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry.. didnt mean to hang you u p in a chat dialogue. Am removing the back of the subwoofer now.

I looked onside the desktop controller and didnt see anything out of the ordinary

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me know if you have any further questions.
The control modules rarely develop a fault, so if you find anything wrong it is likely to be in the subwoofer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Pete,

Took, the back of the sub woofer off, the fuse was blown and

it did have a hint of a burnt odor.

Went to radio shack, bought a few bags of 5a 125v (15) replacement fuses, replaced the fuse, hit the power button on the control box, and phhhhht fuse blew right away...

I have no idea where there might be a short...

Dont know what to do next

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
The fault will need to be found and fixed before you fit any more fuses, as trying to power it on again could do further damage.
The short could be anywhere, and the unit will require diagnostic testing to locate and replace the damaged components.
If you have experience in this type of repair, you may want to carry out the tests yourself. Otherwise, you will need to have a repair company diagnose and fix the problem for you.

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience: 12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Pete,

Found the fault, one of the speaker wires was shorting it out. One of the red leads came out of its seat when I moved the sub and was shorting aginst the black ground lead in the socket next to it. But it appears the output section is fried, because the unit now powers on, but nothing from the speakers and when I plug in the headphones all I get is is low volume hum. When I alternate the controller from normal to HP mode, I hear a normal sounding click from sub, the kind of click you get after warming up your high def TV before the pic comes on, but nothing happens.... Major bummer!

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the update.
A speaker wire shorting out will almost certainly have fried your amp.
A repair company like http://www.elliot-tronics.com/ will be able to repair this for you if you cannot find anyone locally.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for all your help Pete! Will definately follow up with http://www.elliot-tronics.com/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Pete,

Follow up information you might find useful.

Klipsch Headquarters Indiana: 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX

For the Pro Media Ultra 5.1 system we've been discussing they'll

tell you, sorry, cant help because their parts availability is depleted.

BUT the Klipsch tech cheefully referred me to their preferred

Klipsch authorized service facility Sybesma Electronics

located in Holland MI

I called Sybesma(see below), spoke with Stacy, who was very helpful.

Sybesma will completely rebuild and update the promedia 5.1

amplifier section for a flat rate of $150 plus shipping.

They ask that you remove the amp section from the subwoofer box,

pack it along with the control box and ship it to the address listed

below. Stacy said the total weight of the amp and cotrol box is approx

8 LBS.

It is asked that when you ship the unit that you provide

your name, address, phone number and a brief description

of the problem.

Once Sybesma receives the part, they will call you and collect

a $50 credit card deposit to initiate the repair.

The techs will do the work on the amp, then they will

check the control box. If the techs detect a problem

with the control box, that would be a an additional $60

flat charge for the repair/update in addition to the fee for

the amp.

Sybesma Electronics

581 Ottawa Ave

Holland MI 49423

1-XXX-XXX-XXXX

Hope you find this info useful..

Cheers,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

oh crud.. not sure hot to pass the ph nos.

ok, for klipsch hdq

one - eight hundred - five five four - seven seven two four

and for sybesma

one - eight hundred - four five six - four two six five

See if you get that

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,
Many thanks for the useful information!
Pete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome Pete....

CORRECTION:

Ship part to:

Sybesma Electronics

581 Ottawa Ave

Suite 100

Holland, MI 49423