Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming

I get message "Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please disconnect

Customer Question

I get message "Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please disconnect the HDMI connector and use the component (YPrPb) connection to continue watching TV." on my Denon AVR-1910. I am trying to use my Wii which is hooked to the receiver and then it is a HDMI cable out to the TV. My Wii has worked in the past. Also, I can see the Wii picture when I push Menu on the Denon (and I can always hear the sound). Is there something in the settings or on receiver I need to change to getthis to work? It has worked in the past.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

The Denon AVR-1910 support HDCP (HD copy protection). Sometime early TV don't but i don't see why upconverted signal from the Wii would not show as it's not HDCP protected int he first place. I don't remember a setting that would relate to this problem.

HDCP handshaking protocol problem can sometime happen (it's a badly made protocol). So sometime to fix this kind of stuff, one device (the TV or the receiver) need to be turned on before the other.

In the worst case you can still connect the audio part of the Wii to the Denon while connecting the video part directly to the TV. You can also connect it all to the Denon and use the composite monitor out to the TV (requiring one more cable).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why is it that I can see the picture for the Wii when I am in menu mode but otherwise I get that error message? It seems that it is not the physical connections, just a setting on the receiver that is the problem.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Perhaps the HDCP get engaged if any other HDCP enabled signal coming from an HDMI cable is detected. If you have a cable box enabled and connected to the DENON, it may be interesting to turn it off and then retry if this impact the Wii signal out of the HDMI Denon out.

Perhaps the HDCP get disabled when the menu mode is activated. We would need something like a bluray player to test that possibility.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: 16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, got it to work finally. I had to unplug red white yellow cord connection from cable box and receiver which was redundant given HDMI. That must have been interfering somehow.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Nice that it is now working. HDCP can really be picky sometime. Good night.