Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a sony blue ray dvd player -I have sound but, no picture

I have a sony blue ray dvd player -I have sound but, no picture ? I have tryed a dvd that came with my wifes sewing machine, and the dvd works perfect.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the Sony player for, and when did this problem occur?

What is the make and model of the TV it's connected to, and with what type of cables are being used?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had the unit for 8 months. The problem has occured about 2 months ago. The player is connected to Sony Bravia Model # XXXXX 32L4000. The unit is attached to cables it came with it.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any problems viewing other things on the TV (Cable Box, etc.)?

Also, have you checked to make sure the Yellow cable did not come unplugged from he TV or the player? Even if it "looks" connected, push it in to make sure both ends are tight and secure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked the yellow no luck
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not hve any problems on viewing the tv (cable box, etc) ?
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Please shut the player and TV off, and unplug them both from power for 2 minutes. During this time disconnect and reconnect the Red,White and Yellow cables making sure they are secure. Then plug it all back in, turn it on and attempt to view the Sony player.

If this does not work, do you have an extra set of R,W and Y cables you can try?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO luck. Do not have extra R, W and Y cables. When I tried it again about two inches of the picture appeared.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
If the Cable Box, etc. is working fine on the TV, but the Blu Ray player is not, then this indicates a problem with the Blu Ray player.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But, why does the other dvds play that I have mention.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
I must have missed the part about other dvd's playing fine. If that is the case, then the dvd that does not play is faulty, or set for another region code.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I hve tried dvd from red box, and family videos and both of them do not play. How do I get another region code?
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
So, are you saying there is only one DVD that will play fine in the player....or that some do and some do not?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried two dvd and they play fine. The ones I get from the video rentals do not play.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

The Sony likely needs a firmware update. Are you familiar with how to do this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

This update is to fix the player's incompatibility with certain DVD's. You will need to burn the update onto a blank DVD, and then load it into the player and play to perform the update. Here is the link to the update and the instructions on how to do this:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=6787&mdl=BDPS270

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If this procedure does not work then what? Should I buy a new dvd player?
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
That would be the only other option.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I will buy a new dvd player. Thank you for your time and effort.