Joe
Joe , Mechanic
Experience:  Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional. iphone, bluray and home theater setup and repair.
20508815

Why does the sound keep going off on my HDTV It only does

Customer Question

Why does the sound keep going off on my HDTV? It only does it on HD channels and I have to change to a standard station to get it to come back on.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Are you using a cable/sat box to change the channels or does the rf coax cable come out of the wall like an antenna directly to your tv and your tv changes the channels?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have DirecTV. It comes out of a satellite box.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
How is the box connected to your tv? Hdmi?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it is hooked up using the Hdmi 1 connection.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Lets try resetting your dish box, Please unplug it from the wall and wait 10 secs then plug back in, let me know if this resolves the problem?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It didn't work.

Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a different dish box you can connect to this tv or this dish box to another tv with hdmi cable? Again just a test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I don't, but this actually is the second sat. box and it has done it on both boxes. The first was a regular sat. box and the second is a DVR box.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
You dont happen to have another audio cable connecting it to the tv do you as well as the hdmi?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have our sound system hooked to it.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
So If I understand correctly you use a home theater system for sound and not the tv correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Correct.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Ok, this then changes everything...... From your question it was the sound keeps going off on your hdtv.

Can you provide me with the model number of the home theater receiver?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The problem may be solved. The tv was on for 12 straight hours yesterday and did not shutdown the sound once. Lets give it a couple of days and see what happens.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

The tv has nothing to do with the audio since you have explained to me that a home theater system is used for the sound.

Do the audio cables go stright from each device to the receiver or do you have hdmi cables to the tv then an digital optical cable out from the tv to the receiver?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the TV has nothing to do with the sound. Why is it I don't have a problem on standard TV stations but have a problem with the HD stations?
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Because the "TV" is not being used for audio, you are using a home theater receiver for audio so all your tv is, is simply a "monitor" , unless as I requested the tv has an optical cable out from it to the receiver.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I had to go out of town. I may have mislead you. The sound system I am using is a extra JVC stero system I had. When best by installed the TV they hooked the system into the TV, not the box.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

That's what I figured, however I still do not know how anything is connected to each other, which is very important in the diagnosis.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for trying but this is not going to work. What I need to do is contact Samsung to see if they have had this problem with anyone else.

Thanks