Joe
Joe , Mechanic
Experience:  Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional. iphone, bluray and home theater setup and repair.
20508815

can i plug a comcast box into my onkyo receiver thru hdmi and

Customer Question

can i plug a comcast box into my onkyo receiver thru hdmi and out to television
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

What is the make and model of your TV?

Also, have you tried going directly to the TV and bypassing the Onkyo?

If so, do you get picture in this method?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

This is a common problem with Onkyo units. The HDCP signal encoded into the HDMI output of the cable box is not able to be passed through the Onkyo.

Sometimes you can get the signal to "handshake" and play nice by powering up the components in a sequence. The sequence is, power up the TV first wait 2 minutes, then the Onkyo, wait 2 minutes, and then the cable box. This sometimes works, but it is very redundant and inconvenient.

Unfortunately, the only other solution is to bypass the Onkyo's HDMI jacks altogether, run the HDMI straight out from cable box to TV, and then run an Optical cable from either the Cable Box, or the TV back to the Onkyo for the Onkyo to decode the surround sound information for playback.

I wish there was another solution, but I've seen this issue scads of times with Onkyo units and it is a problem from the manufacturer.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not a correct answer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Vizio tv
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is Joe and I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

Do you also have a bluray player connected through the onkyo out to the tv?

Thanks,

Joe