Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

phone will not ring on incoming calls

Customer Question

phone will not ring on incoming calls
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & Welcome,

Can you send along the Make & Model of your phone system? It sounds like it is a cordless phone (from the 6.0 Plus), so the exact model number should be printed on the main base unit.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
model no.kx-tg4031/Panasonic
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again & thanks for that information.

Can you tell me if you can make outgoing calls with this phone?

Also, does the "Ring Indicator" flash when an call comes in?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, I can make outgoing calls aand the ring indicator does flash when a call comes in, the face also lights up.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
OK - a couple of more questions.

- Does the Main Base Unit ring when a call comes in?
- Does the Handset have a "little bell" with a line through it on its screen?
- Do you have more than one handset?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes the main base rings, there is a little bell with a line through it on its screen. Yes I have more than one handset.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
OK - the little bell with the line through it says that the ringer volume is turned OFF for that handset.

Below is a screen shot of page 23 of the manual, where it shows how to set the ringer volume for the handset (in "direct" commands).

So what you want to do is press [MENU] then the # XXXXX
Then press the keys 1 6 0. That should bring up the Ringer Volume details screen.
Next press 6. This will set the ringer volume to its highest level.
Next press [SAVE]. Then press [OFF].

graphic

That should do it. If you want a different level than 6, then you can press anything lower than 6, BUT NOT 0 (zero).

Please give that a try and let me know what happens.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The 2 handsets still do not ring and the bell with the slash through it remains on the phones. I followed your instructions completely.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
That's strange.

Did you make it through the menu system and were you able to select "6" as the volume level?

Can you go back into that menu and tell me what number you see when you "enter" that menu item (right after 1 6 0 entry)?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says volume is off
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hmmm. That means that the entries that you made are NOT being stored.

I am assuming that you pressed the [SAVE] - which is what should cause your number to be entered and stored.

So its time for a "Master Reset" of the system. Please do the follow steps.
But one note before you do that: Entries in your "Phonebook" may be deleted by this process, so if you have anything stored that you want to be able to enter again, you will need to write those entries down.

============= Reset Procedure =============

1) Unplug the AC adapter from the Main Base Unit AND the wall (AC socket).
2) Remove the battery for each handset.
3) WAIT 15 minutes.
This allows anything stored in the system to "clear" - including any software glitches.
4) Put the battery back in each handset.
5) Plug the AC adapter back into the Main Base Unit and then the wall (AC socket).
6) WAIT about 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
7) TEST each of the handset to make sure they can make & receiver calls.
=======================================

Please let me know what happens.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Engineer / Consultant
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We tried the last suggestion of removing batteries,unpluging the base unit, waiting the 15 minutes then resetting everything but that did not help. The two handsets still do not ring.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

The results really concern me.

Can you tell me how long you have owned this system and when this issue began?

Also, did you buy this unit "new" - from a retail shop?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The unit is about 5 or6 years old. Yes I bought it from a retail shop new. Sorry for the delay in answering had to attend school function for grandaughter.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

No problem with the delay - family is always more important than technology.

Can you tell me the TOTAL number of handsets you have, and the last time you replaced the batteries in the handsets? The reason I ask is because when "power" starts to get low, "strange things" start to happen (like not being able to change these settings).

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Including the base set there are 3 handsets and as far as I know the batteries have never been changed as we keep them on the battery chargers when not in use.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

Sorry for the delay (again) - my family wanted to have dinner.

If the batteries have NEVER been replaced, then I would at least try an experiment of replacing the batteries in ONE HANDSET ONLY and see if it changes that handset's capability to be programmed properly. Replacement batteries should be available locally at almost any office supply store or department store that carries cordless phones. Just make sure you get the correct batteries for the handset (Nickel metal hydride -Ni-MH). Cost should be less than $10.

Once you get the batteries installed, allow them to charge for the required time (7 hours) and then try to program the ringer volume on that handset. If that works, then is would be time to replace the batteries on each handset that you have.

Take Care, Greg A.

P.S. ALL batteries have a limited lifetime - even if left on the charger most of the time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, will give it a tryon wednesday. Will let you know the results.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Take Care
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have tried replacing the batteries and it did not help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still waiting for a reply. With ne batteries charging for 12 or more hours and still no ring from the 2 handsets.

Helen

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

Do you try to reprogram the handset "ringer volume" for the handset that you replaced the batteries on?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes we did with no success.

Helen

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - let's try one more thing. That will be another longer reset process.

Please take the batteries out of the handset (with the new batteries) and leave the batteries out for at least 1 hour.

After that hour, unplug the AC adapter from the main base unit (as you did before), then installed the batteries in the handset. Wait about 2 minutes and then plug the AC adapter back into the main base unit.

Please let me know what happens.

Thanks, Greg A.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the help, the phone we put new batteries in is now ringing.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
You are quite welcome.

Next step is to do the same thing on any remaining handsets.

Take Care, Greg A.