Stereowiz
Stereowiz, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 Years experience in Audio Electronics , Car Audio, Home and Audiophile Stereo Repair Service
19986471

My nearly-new (got it about 1 year ago) Sherwood RX-4109 receiver

My nearly-new (got it about 1 year ago) Sherwood RX-4109 receiver is having some kind of issue, despite having worked perfectly over the past year (not heavy usage). When I push the Power On button on the remote (receiver is on standby before that), the LED display lights up w/the FM radio station I programmed - but after about 3 - 4 seconds the unit appears to revert to Standby mode. I've put new batteries in the remote; I've checked all electrical connections (dis-connected and re-connected all cords, and the peripheral high-power stereo antenna, plus the speaker wires and cords). I've also tried pushing the Power button on the receiver itself (rather than the remote) to play the radio; and the FM/AM button on the receiver - same thing happens no matter what I try. Any ideas?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Stereowiz replied 5 years ago.

Stereowiz :

The unit is in protection mode, the amplifier or power supply is shorted out, that is a very common issue with current receivers and most of the problems are cused by excessive volume, too many speakers connected, short in the speaker wires or power surges, the worst part of this is that they are not worth it to repair it, save time and money, buy a new one and do not overload it , also do not use power surge protectors, they do not work well on power amplifiers.