Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

Connecting Vizio Soundbar to Toshiba TV

I am trying to connect my Vizio soundbar to my Toshiba TV using an optical cable and I am not getting any sound. HELP, PLEASE!!!
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Eng. Andres replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JA:
We will start by reviewing the steps on how to connect the VSB200 to your Toshiba TV using SPIDF:
1. Turn off the power to the HD Sound Bar and TV. 2. Connect one end of the Optical (SPDIF) cable to the digital audio output on the TV. 3. Connect the other end of the Optical (SPDIF) cable to the Digital audio input on the HD Sound Bar. 4. Turn on the power to the HD Sound Bar and TV. 5. Select the Optical input by pressing the Input Button on the top of the HD Sound Bar or Remote Control.
When using the Optical Input on the HD Sound Bar, the device output mode-which in your case is your Toshiba TV- has to be set-up up to PCM (PCM is a kind of digital encoder for audio signals). If you don't know how to set the PCM, please, reply with the model number of your TV and I will answer asap.
Once PCM is configured, and the SPIDF is selected as input source, you will be able to hear the sound from your sound bar.
Regards

Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience: Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer