Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Have just purchased a 51 plasma (SAMSUNG PS51D495 ) and a

Have just purchased a 51" plasma (SAMSUNG PS51D495 ) and a soundbar ( PANASONIC SC- HTB520 ) try as i might I just can't get any sound out of the sound bar. Please help.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, post back and describe how the Panasonic is connected to the Samsung using what kind of cable(s). Additionally, is there a cable box or a satellite receiver connected to the Samsung by HDMI.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Please post back and describe how the Panasonic is connected to the Samsung using what kind of cable(s). Additionally, is there a cable box or a satellite receiver connected to the Samsung by HDMI.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply . I am running a hdmi cable from my sky hd box into my tv.hdmi cable connecting my blue ray player to my soundbar. Hdmi cable connecting my soundbar to my tv. Also an optical cable from soundbar to tv . Many tks.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
On "...hdmi cable connecting my blue ray player to my soundbar...", is there no Blu-ray sound heard on the soundbar? Or is the problem only with the Sky programs sound?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no sound at all.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
I understand.

Does the Panasonic goes through the motion of turning on, TV & BD/DVD could be selected except no sound. Is the Blu-ray video viewable on the TV?

Consider a RESET. As it implies a reset would force the soundbar back to factory defaults removing any glitch but would include memories, presets and user preferences. Should you venture to try (and if have not been done):
  • power on (even if with no sound);
  • press and hond the power butoon on the front panel (not the remote for 4 seconds;
  • a reset has been done if all the LED indicators would blink twice.

A reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware issue.

Please post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sky and blue ray are showing but no sound. I have tried the reset proceedure but still no sound .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just realised that i have pressed the wrong button.hitting the accept answer instead of reply to expert. Can we please continue the thread. Many tks
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
If a reset has been tried and problem persist, then in most likelihood, this would be a hardware concern.

Apologies for the delay, searching for the repair / Service Manual as this no longer appears to be a setting/configuration issue.

Would post again soon as the manual is made available on my end.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Please describe the condition of the LED inidicator lights (off, on or blinking):
  • TV;
  • BD/DVD;
  • D;
  • DTS;
  • PCM.

Additionally, try connecting / setting the Blu-ray with the optical cable to the soundbar temporarily. This is a test for certain circuit(s) of the soundbar.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Connected optical cable from blu-ray to soundbar. I now have lights flashing for tv / bd / dvd and d.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Please try the reset again; with the LED indicator lights still blinking, press and hold the POWER button on the front panel (not the remote) for 4 seconds. All the LED indicators should blink twice to indicate that a reset has been done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The led lights had stopped flashing before i tried the reset again. Still no sound .
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
As posted above "...If a reset has been tried and problem persist, then in most likelihood, this would be a hardware concern...."

From the Service Manual on the blinking light:

graphic

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Panasonic Service Center (specially if still under some form of extended warranty), the point of purchase or a qualified professional.

Are you considering a DIY approach? If yes, please reference troubleshooting proceduress below.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The soundbar is a brand new system( 2 days old ) . I would not be comfortable carrying out a DIY repair job. Can you please confirm that you can no longer assist me with solving my problem.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Externally, there are no other checks/fixes that could be tried. Internally, yes as I can provide guidance on the hardware repairs.

Unfortunately, no quick easy fix on the nature of the problem. The Panasonic would have to be opened up.