Aric, Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience troubleshooting and repairing electronics. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a Yamaha receiver and the display says "Decoder Off"

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha receiver and the display says "Decoder Off" no sound. How do I fix?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

What is connected to the Yamaha for devices (DVD, Cable Box, PS3, etc.)?

Also, are they connected via HDMI?

Have you tried switching sources and is the error message still there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cable box
HDM1 connected
The AM/FM radio works fine
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Please shut down the cable box and Yamaha. Unplug them both from AC power for 5 minutes. During this time disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable from both devices. Then plug in the cable box and the receiver. Turn on and let it reboot. Then power on the Yamaha. This in most cases resets the Decoder OFF warning on Yamaha units.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still no sound. Same error message.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Have you looked in the manual for instructions on how to manually turn the Decoder back on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, not very clear.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Try to hit "STRAIGHT" on the remote and see if you get sound from the Cable Box input.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the manual advised to do that as well. Still no sound. I'm stumped.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Well I have seen this a few times on the site, and it was due to the HDMI Inputs being faulty and the Yamaha not receiving a signal, thus giving the "Decoder OFF" message. In that case, the unit needs to be sent out to Yamaha for them to replace the HDMI Inputs, and check the 5 volt Bus Power coming into the processor. How long have you had the receiver for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Less than a year.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply I would suggest contacting the retailer to find the location of the closest authorized service center in your area to have the HDMI inputs replaced/repaired.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

The only other thing you can try, would be to connect a DVD or Blu Ray player into the same jack that the Cable Box is plugged into, and see if you get the same issue. It is possible that the Cable box itself may be faulty. I would suggest trying this initially beyond calling for service on the Yamaha.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll try that and then let you know.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thank you please do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No response for the components.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

This does in fact indicate that the Yamaha is in need of service. Resetting the HDMI cable, trying different components and also trying to run the processor "STRAIGHT" instead of the unit attempting to Decode the HDMI signal is all one can do on a user level.

Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.

You can use the link below to locate a Yamaha service center to rectify the problem.

http://usa.yamaha.com/dealers/service_locator/index.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Was not able to resolve.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Then the issue, as stated above is that unit IS in need of service. I cannot repair the unit from where I'm at, we can only perform settings and component level testing to determine where in fact the problem lies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am going to return the unit back to manufacture.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Ok.