Craig
Craig, Electrical/ Electronic Technician
Experience:  33 years troubleshooting electronic and electrical control systems for all types of equipment.
21549903

Lestronic II golf cart charger for 36 volt system. When plugged

Customer Question

Lestronic II golf cart charger for 36 volt system. When plugged into golf cart charger hums but meter is pegged to the left and does not charge batteries. Fuze looks good and cables are new. Charger was working a few weeks ago so problem is recent. No weather or rain as possible problem
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Craig replied 5 years ago.

Craig :

You need to check the batteries, one of them is possibly shorted and causing the high amp draw. Put your meter on positive and neg post on each battery and see what it reads individually with charger off. What do you see at each battery?

Craig :

Do this first; Try unhooking charger leads to battery and turn charger on with leads isolated and look at ammeter, is it zero?

Customer :

I will check the amps for each battery....if they are good they should read 6amps, correct. If one is shorting out and causing an amp draw, what should it read?

Customer :

Also, unsure what is the charger leads to the battery, is this the pos/neg cables connecting the batteries?

Craig :

Yes, the leads that go from the charger output to the batteries, unhook and turn on the charger, what does the amp gauge do?

Craig :

The batteries should read 6 VOLTS each. Read them at each battery, + to - with volt meter on DC volts

Customer :

I will try this at lunch and let you know...I will reply around 1-1:15 eastern time. Thanks.

Craig :

Good, I am in and out...

Craig :

I will watch for you.

Craig :

Read my instructions and do it exactly as I have said please.

Craig :

6 volts at each battery, then un hook the charger leads at the batteries for test of charger

Craig :

turn on with it unhooked at the battery posts for a look at the charger. If it's bad it could have a high amp draw 'internally' and this would show up with this test

Customer :

I checked the 6 batteries, all show 6.22-6.33 volts.

Customer :

I disconnected the wire were the charge plugs into the cart and goes to the battery, nothing the charger did not turn on.

Craig :

That all sounds normal.

Craig :

Now plug the charger in with it disconnected from the batteries. Have it plugged in and on. Check the voltage at the output leads that go to the batteries (disconnected). Should see 38.5 volts DC

Craig :

Look for a fuse on the charger...