Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert
47322625

I have white spots on my Samsung DLP TV. Can you identify

I have white spots on my Samsung DLP TV. Can you identify the problem and suggest a solution.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

Hi there happy to help.

Can you tell me when you first noticed this and if there appear to be anymore spots appearing over time?

Let me know,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We notice a single spot in the left upper corner of the screen about three days ago. Yesterday two more appeared in that vicinity for a total of three spots.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

OK,

Unfortunatelty what is happening here is the DMD (digital micro mirror device) chip is failing on your TV.

As long as the dots are stationary and increasing in number, this is the issue 9 times out of 10.

This is the chip that Texas Instruments came out with years ago with the "tiny mirrors" that is the center of the light engine in DLP TVs.

For most people this chip and related board turns out to be so expensive to repair/replace that they either live with the TV until it becomes unbearable, or just go shopping for a new TV right away.

Complete diagnoses of all failing components and replacement will run you 600+ on this.

Here's an example why, the DMD chip to be replaced is over $200 just for the part.

http://www.findparts4you.com/store/p/321-4719-001981-DLP-Chip-Board-pins-on-bottom-.aspx

For not much more, they are selling 46" LCDs, here's an example........

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M470NV-47-Inch-Internet-Application/dp/B003GDKP30

Hope this helps,

If this answer helped you please click the ACCEPT button.

Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience: BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert