Aric , Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Samsung LCD TV is screeching when powered on. It is a very

Customer Question

My Samsung LCD TV is screeching when powered on. It is a very high pitched noise. It used to do it sometimes for a few minutes when I turned the TV on. Now it is loud and non-stop.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Does the picture and sound still continue to play on the set when the screeching sound is happening?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. This set is a DLP set and has several moving parts inside, the Fans and the Color Wheel. Typically, the Color wheel screeching, or failing would lead to a distorted picture or no picture. The fans, so long as they are spinning and keeping the TV from going into Thermal Protect, will continue to work and the picture would be just fine.

Commonly a build up of dust and dirt will cause friction in the fans, and can cause grinding, squeeking or screeching noises like the one you've described. A possible solution would be to disassemble the fans by rmeoving the rear panel of the TV, then cleaning and lubricating them with WD-40, or possible replacing the fans.

Are you comfortable disassembling the TV and poking around to clean the fans out?

If not, then you could locate a technician at the link below and have them perform this work for you:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I can try that. I am assuming that I will need to remove the large back panel, not just the lamp opening. Am I correct? There seems to be a great deal of heat radiating from the back of the set. Would that also be an indicator that the fans are not working?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Yes you are correct, remove the entire rear panel of the set to be able to access the fans easier. If there is alot of friction on the fans, due to dust buildup, they will be not spinning as fast as well as generating their own heat due to this. Neither is a good scenario to let run for long.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wish me luck and thanks for your help.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome and I hope it works out!