Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a Denon AVR-1312 receiver connected to my LG tv via

Customer Question

I have a Denon AVR-1312 receiver connected to my LG tv via an HDMI cable. Initially, I could get the audio from the TV to play through the receiver, but today there is no audio from the tv. I also have a blu-ray player connected to the receiver. I can play the audio from the blu ray either through the denon speakers or the tv speakers through the HDMI cable connected to the receiver. I've tried disabling the tv speakers.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

~What is the model number of your TV?

~Also, I'm not sure exactly what your question is: "Initially, I could get the audio from the TV to play through the receiver, but today there is no audio from the tv."

Are you trying to get the sound from the Denon or from the TV's built in speakers to work?

Also, the same with the Blu Ray player, which are you trying to get to work, the Denon's speakers, or the TV's speakers?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. My TV is an LG Infinia HDTV-60PZ950. I have an HDMI cable running from the tv to the AVR. I also have a cable box and a blu-ray player connected to the AVR. I can hear the audio through the surround sound speakers just fine when using the cable box and blu-ray. However, when I'm using the tv to connect to netflix, for example, the audio won't play through the surround sound. I can only get the sound to play through the tv speakers. I was able to play the audio coming from the TV through the surround sound yesterday (when I first got it set up), but today it isn't working. Also, when I switch to 'tv' on the receiver, the display reads H=none/d=opt1. I tried a different HDMI cable without success.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

How is the Netflix connected to the TV.....is it directly connected to the TV, or through the Blu Ray player?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a smart TV and connects to netflix on it's own.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Okay thank you. The Denon was always set to TV when you wanted to listen to the TV sound through the receiver?

Also, I need to step out for an hour but will be back to follow up in a little bit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's correct. Pressing the 'tv' button on the remote or changing the source on the front of the receiver to 'tv' used to allow the audio to play from the tv through the receiver.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Somehow the HDMI ARC function is not working properly anymore. How long was this setup working properly?

According to what I've read in the manual, this receiver does not support ARC (Audio Return Channel). Which is bizarre because you said it was working previously. Please answer the above question and we can proceed from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just set it up this week. It worked for a couple of days.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Well either the Denon is faulty, or the processor needs to be reset. Please shut the power off, on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "<<" and ">>" buttons while at the same time pressing power once. When the display starts flashing, release these buttons. Then attempt to operate the unit again. If the problem has cleared, then the processor reset did the trick.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
He offered no solutions other than what is written in the manual.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
I don't know what else you want to hear as the unit is obviously not operating properly if it was set up several days ago then simply stopped. I would exchange it under the manufacturer's warranty.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just went and swapped it out for a new one. It's having the same issue. Thanks for your help. I will see what I can figure out.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, connect an optical cable from the TV's OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUT to the receiver's OPTICAL (TV) in addition to the existing HDMI from the receiver's HDMI OUT MONITOR to the TV's HDMI port. The TV must be configured not to use its internal speakers.
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That did it! There wasn't an issue with the receiver. Thanks!
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Great! Glad that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Appreciate the accept.

This is not an Info Request.