Aric, Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience troubleshooting and repairing electronics. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

cannot power on my SR5002 receiver. There is a flashing Standby

cannot power on my SR5002 receiver. There is a flashing "Standby" led
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Try unplugging the unit for 60 minutes, then plug back in and try it again. This will reset the processor and hopefully the unit will operate normally. Check all the speaker wiring for shorts, make sure they're also not touching the chassis of the receiver, or are not otherwise pinched or frayed. If all looks well, try disconnecting all the speakers and cycle the power off, then on again.

If it powers up, try connecting the speakers one at a time until one of them shuts the receiver down. Check this speaker with a multi-meter and make sure it is reading between 4-8 ohms.

If not, the speaker may be blown and is causing the receiver to see a short and therefore power down.

If the unit shuts down with no speaker load connected, or fails to power up, then it likely has a bad output transistor, or capacitor and is in need of service.

Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on a circuit board level?

If not, then I can send you the contact info for a Service Center near you if you'd like.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will try shutting down for 60 minutes and disconnecting the speakers
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will do
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Have you had any luck yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no luck yet. I waited one hour and unhooked the speakers.. still flashing "standby" and the unit will not power up. I will take my whole system apart tomorrow morning.. I don't have time now. Can we keep this open for now?
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

You sure can. Unfortunately though, we see this all the time on the site with Marantz units, and if removing anything connected to it's outputs, and unplugging to drain the filter caps does not help, then the unit is in need of service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I will be in touch tomorrow
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay thank you. Have a good night.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No luck today. Everything disconnected
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. The unit has the notorious Denon/Marantz blinking light issue. Unfortunately, there is no reset or sequence of buttons you can press to bring this unit back to life. It will require being sent to an Authorized Service Center to have the power supply voltages checked, and then component replacement/repair will be necessary. I do not have a service manual for this receiver, but parts are proprietary to Denon/Marantz and will need to be sourced out by the technician. I can send you the contact information for a service center if you'd like.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience troubleshooting and repairing electronics. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That would be great. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Here is the link to locate a Marantz service center in your area:

http://us.marantz.com/us/Support/Pages/ServiceCenter.aspx

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you. Nice service
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome and thank you for using Just Answer.