Shahid_Sony
Shahid_Sony, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech.
33243543

I have a Sony CD Radio Cassette-Corder (Model No. CFD-801)

I have a Sony CD Radio Cassette-Corder (Model No. CFD-801) which I truly believed was the BEST on the market. I purchased it at Sears at the mall in Gadsden, Alabama a little over 4 years ago. I had another cassette-recorder when I lived in Atlanta which was a Sony CFS-B15 when there were no CD players yet. It stopped recording a few years after I bought it. I was at a concert, thinking I was recording the singing groups/soloists and after it was over, found nothing on the cassette tapes!!!! My current Sony CD Radio-Cassette-Corder stopped working about 2 months ago. I was trying to play my sister's CD tape of a gospel singing trio after I had cleaned the CD area under the cover with CD player cleaner tape. The power light went off & the CD tape stopped. I had it plugged into one of my surge protectors; my dell computer cords are plugged into that surge protector as well. I tried to play a cassette tape a few days later & the power light went out. This time, I plugged it into one of my kitchen outlets on the counter but it still cut off!!!! I took my batteries out of the player a few years ago. I had bought them at Sears when I bought this latest CD player. What to do????
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Shahid_Sony replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer for question.
Please let me know when power button pressed, does unit turn On for a while and shuts Off or there is any power sign when plugged in wall socket?
I do have service manual copy of CFD-S01 and can provide you if that helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I press the power button, it lights up for maybe 30 seconds and then goes off. The same thing happened when it was plugged into my surge protector. Hope this is helpful. If the service manual copy of CFD-S01 is free, I'd be glad to receive one. I am retired, divorced and live alone. I am an empty nester.
Yes, service manual copy is free and no charges for that.
Problem seems with either power supply or output amplifier section of Sony CD Radio Cassette-Corder.
Do you have experience of fixing electronics stuff and want to repair it by yourself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I would like a copy of the service manual but no, I do not have experience with making electronic repairs. Thank you for your help anyway.
Please click HERE and download service manual copy of Sony CFD-S01 CD Radio Cassette-Corder and get some one who knows electronics stuff repair to test power supply and amplifier output sections to sort out problem and replace defective parts, service manual has schematics and part number list as well.
Hope this will help, let me know if there is additonal question.
Thanks.
Shahid_Sony, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech.