WirelessWizard
WirelessWizard , Retail
Experience:  Several years experience in the field of wireless technology and consulting, with AT&T, Verizon and Alltel.
48810790

how do i hard reset samsung galaxy sgh i897

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  WirelessWizard replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is daniel

Which volume button did you hold, down or up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
both
Ok, the timing and order is very important when it comes to the Captivate, here's how to do it:

With the phone powered off, press the POWER key and the Vol Up and Vol Down key at the same time, until the phone powers on.

Once the AT&T Logo appears, RELEASE the POWER button, but keep holding down the VOL UP and VOL DOWN buttons.

Continue to hold both the Vol Up and Vol Down for about 8 seconds, until you're presented with the boot menu, then release them.

Give that a shot.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about my answer. Also, please note that while you've posted a deposit, you must also click 'accept' in order to close the question and ensure your expert is credited by JustAnswer. There's NO additional charge for clicking accept.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok ive tried that several times n the fone still continues to boot up! i did try holding power button n the down volume button n it takes me to a screen that has the adroid logo n says " power reset or unknown mode or upload but doesnt let me do anything
Yep, it's difficult to initiate it. Let's try that one more time, but instead of holding the up and down volume, hold your finger in the MIDDLE of the volume button (thus effectively holding both up and down).

1. So hold down the middle of the volume button with your finger, then press and release the power button while you continue to hold the middle of the volume key.

Any luck?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i got that screen again... power reset or unknown upload mode
Ok, is it "Power Reset" or "Power" and "reset" ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
power reset
Ok, that's not the screen we want :(

I'm afraid that's the only way documented that will initiate the reset protocol. I'll have to opt out as I am out of ideas.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

does the sim need to be inserted

The presence of the SIM card does not affect the capability of a Hard Reset. Personally, if I were you, I'd contact Samsung Customer Service (Not AT&T). They can tell you if there's a bug with the software version of your device, which may be preventing the hard reset--it wouldn't be the first time.