Brian McIntosh
Brian McIntosh, Engineer
Experience:  General electronics, automation, theater, systems integration, satellite systems, home wiring for audio/video/aut

How do I connect my TV to a Direct TV box

How do I connect my TV to a Direct TV box?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Brian McIntosh replied 3 years ago.

Brian McIntosh :

Welcome to JustAnswer, and thanks for your question!!

Brian McIntosh :

Your TV has all of the normal TV connections - component (red, green, blue connectors), HDMI, SVideo, etc.

Brian McIntosh :

Can you tell me how old your DirecTV box is?

Brian McIntosh :

If your DirecTV box is new (witnin a couple of years, it should have HDMI, or component video connections at least.

Brian McIntosh :

If it is really old, it may have a composite video (yellow) connector on the back.

Brian McIntosh :

You should be able to connect the DirecTV box directly to the TV without needing the RF modulator.

Brian McIntosh :

Can you describe the connectors on the back of the DirecTV box - the colour and what they are called

Customer:

The TV is 5 years old.

Customer:

The TV is 5 years old. The Direct TV Box was installed Jan. 2009

Customer:

The back of the DTV Box. From left to right Satellite In, RF Remote Ant. Input

Customer:

USB Port, Out to TV, S-Video, 3/4 Channel Switch

Customer:

Off Air In, Digital Audio Optical, Video yellow, Audio R-Red and L-White, Phone,

Customer:

AC Power Inlet.

Brian McIntosh :

Is the 'out to TV' connector the silver connector with threads?

Customer:

Yes.

Brian McIntosh :

In this case, the best connection you can make to the TV is by using the S Video cable and connecting it to the cable box and to the TV

Brian McIntosh :

You will then have to set your TV to 'A/V Input 1'

Brian McIntosh :

You will also have to find a cable for the audio - typically this has red/white connectors. Do you have one of these?

Brian McIntosh :

Connect the SVideo connector to the TV's 'Input 1'.

Brian McIntosh :

You will also have to connect the red/white cable to the Audio (left and right) on the TV INput 1, and then connect to the DirecTV box's red/white connectors.

Brian McIntosh :

Let me know how you get on - I may have to leave for a few minutes

Customer:

I'm sorry Brian, is there a cable for AV Input 1? I only get Comp. 1, Comp. 2. HMLT

Customer:

listed on the TV

Brian McIntosh :

I am looking at the manual for your TV and it looks like there is an input on the back called 'input 1' - this has an s-video connector at the top, followed by a yellow connector and then the red/white audio. Can you see this on the back of the TV?

Customer:

Yes

Brian McIntosh :

You should plug your s-video cable into the TV (Input 1) and the other end into the cable box

Customer:

I have done this, but I still have the DTV cable that is not connected. It has the tiny

Customer:

wire in the middle. There is no connection on the back of the TV for this....

Brian McIntosh :

Just to be clear - you have the S Video cabe connected to the TV and the DTV box. You also have the red/white audio cable connected to the TV and the DTV box. You should also have the black coax cable (from the dish) connected to the satellite in on the DTV box.

Brian McIntosh :

You will not need the black cable (with the small wire in the center) going from the DTV box to the TV.

Customer:

I have the S Vdeo cable connected to both. Would it matter if I have a red, white, and yellow connector or does it have to be just the red/white?

Brian McIntosh :

just need the red/white. The yellow should remain off. You probably have one of the red/white/yellow cables. Just leave the yellow off.

Customer:

I have done this. Now let me get this straight. The Svideo cable is connected, and the red and white is connected just under the Svideo all under input 1

Brian McIntosh :

Correct. And the black coax cable from the satellite dish should be plugged into the Satellite In on the DTV box

Brian McIntosh :

When you are ready, get the TV remote and press the 'input' button a few times until you see 'Video 1' or the satellite TV picture on the TV

Customer:

I HAVE TV. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. It was worth the $38.

Brian McIntosh :

Great - Glad to have been of help! Enjoy your TV.

Brian McIntosh :

Don'e forget to click the 'accept' button on your way out.

Brian McIntosh, Engineer
Experience: General electronics, automation, theater, systems integration, satellite systems, home wiring for audio/video/aut