Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

How do I fix my old JVC stereo The radio kicks out (meaning

How do I fix my old JVC stereo? The radio kicks out (meaning it just stops playing through the speakers) and the headphone jack no longer works.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, post back with the model number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is an RX 507V
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Please clarify, "... radio kicks out..." - does it play for a while once powered on and then no sound or the JVC reverts back to standby mode?

Does the issue happen on other sources other than radio (PHONO, TAPE, CD, others)?

As it would appear to be a hardware concern requiring that the JVC be opened up to effect repairs, are you considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to a multimeter and a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It does not seem to happen on other sources. The CD players works fine through it.

Also, when I say 'kicks out" what I mean is that the radio will work for a few minutes - maybe several minutes - but eventually it goes quiet. The CDs still play through the reciever - just the radio doesn't work.

If the repairs are not hard I can do them myself. As a kid I build a dozen Heathkits (stereo amps, radios, and CB radios among them!) I have several soldering irons but do not own a multi meter.

Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Does it also happen in AM?

The radio tuner of this model makes use of a front end pack (FE101 / P/N EAF2203-001). With the described symptom possibilities are; the front end pack is failing or the tuner B+ is not consistent. The easiest of the 2 to repair is the inconsistent B+ but a multimeter would be needed to monitor, trace this voltage.
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.