Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have and Aiwa FM/AM Stereo radio cassette recorder Model

I have and Aiwa FM/AM Stereo radio cassette recorder Model No. HS-J02 that I have used since the mid eighties. It does all that I want done, that is, until I plugged in the wrong ac/dc adapter. Smoke arose from the machine. I have tried inserting new batteries. No help. What can I do to remedy the situation or where can I send it for repair?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

When you see smoke rise from a unit and the wrong adaptor was plugged in, you can be pretty positive that the power supply transformer is now shot. This is the most expensive component in the whole Aiwa system.

Unfortunately, because the set is rather old by today's Electronics Standards, the power supply may be hard to find/ There are only two shops in the US that still repair and work on Aiwa systems (as Aiwa has gone out of business 2 years ago). It will require shipping the system to them, as they are likely not in your area.

Here are the links to contact the ones that will still work on this unit:

http://www.neiparts.com/services.php

http://apnetwork.in/

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!