Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My PS3 makes 3 beeps then shuts off every time I try to turn

My PS3 makes 3 beeps then shuts off every time I try to turn it on what should I do
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Can you tell me what the front indicator light is doing when the unit shuts down?

Does the light go off altogether?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I turn it on the green light comes then the blue light flashes once then it makes three beeps and shuts off
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the response. When you took the hard drive out did you spray some compressed air inside the PS3 to try and clean it out? If not, please try this also, as it's possible that the connection between the console and the HD are not secure.

Also, try to reformat. The system may or may not let you get this far. If it does not, then most likely, the power supply is shot in the PS. The second most likely fault is that the HD is faulty, but you'd typically get the blinking Yellow or Red light if it was the HD. Something internally is showing the power supply a short, and causing it to shut down.

Hard Reset procedure for the PS3 (as instructed by Sony CS).

Be sure to backup your settings/games saves by doing a System > Backup on your PS3 or you may lose your game saves!1. Power Off the PS3 via the power switch in back and power back on w/switch.

2. Hold Power Button on the Front until you hear 3 beeps.

3. Then go through the initial setup and then run a full Format via System > Format. (will take approx 3 1/1 hours). You may need to have our AV cables ready if your using HDMI (in case HDMI isn't detected after initial reset).

4. Restore your backup you made prior to doing factory/hard reset (optional, if you created a backup).

If this does not work, I can send you the link to PS3's service locator if you'd like.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this did not work
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

The power supply has failed and would need to be replaced. I've found one that's used for $25. I can send you several links if you'd like.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that would be great thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Here are several links to the Power Supply refurbished. They are all interchangeable for the 20/40/60/80G PS3's:

http://www.vpgames.com/p-17080-official-sony-ps3-plastic-internal-power-supply-replacement-for-playstation-3.aspx?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=NXP3-061&

http://www.thegamersfix.com/product.php?productid=16145

Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company