Tas H
Tas H, Application Engineer
Experience:  A licensed Electrical Engineer by Profession and passionate technology gadget guy by hobby.
40636363

My canon mp970 wont print. I get error message e5100. The

Customer Question

My canon mp970 won't print. I get error message e5100. The manual says to unplug the printer, wait, then plugin and power up. After doing this, I get the same error message.

When I opened the case and gain access to the printhead, it readily moves along the alignment bar. I noticed there is a belt that runs behind the printhead and the width of the printer. This belt is very loose. The play in the belt would seem to make it useless. Could this be associated with my problem?

Thank you for your help.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Tas H replied 5 years ago.

Tas H :

Hi, My Name is Tas I will be happy to assist you with your question today.

Tas H :

Loose print head could be the problem but it all depends how bad it is some other factor, before we go that route. Lets try to reset the system if you haven't done so far.

Tas H :
  1. Start with printer off
  2. Press and hold resume Button (triangle in the circle) and click “Power” button. green led should be on
  3. While holding the Power button, release the Resume Button.
  4. Without releasing the Power Button, click “Resume” button for two times and release Both Buttons.
  5. Click “Resume” for four times then soon click “Power” button, to confirm the selected action (reset counter absorber).
  6. Turn off the printer and turn on again
Tas H :

I hope this information resolves the issue. Please ask for more clarifications if required. Don't forget to hit ACCEPT if this was helpful. Thanks

JACUSTOMER-dy64wlha- :

ok, i will now try this procedure.

JACUSTOMER-dy64wlha- :

In step 5 after clicking the resume for four times, should I continue to hold the resume button on the 4th time and then hit the power button?

JACUSTOMER-dy64wlha- :

I have tried the procedure 2 times and it has not worked.

JACUSTOMER-dy64wlha- :

At the end of step 5, when I hit the power button, the printer turns off. So step 6 makes no sense, since the printer is off at the end of step 5.

Tas H :

did you try both ways like click it four time and then click power button ?

JACUSTOMER-dy64wlha- :

yes, i clicked the resume buttone 4 times then clicked the power button.

Tas H :

Yes last step is just same thing/

Tas H :

give me few sec i will check on thing. Thanks for your patience

Tas H :

ok the error code e5100 implies to following issues.

Tas H :

A - there could be some kind of paper jam, paper clip, etc inside the printer and you are not able to access it. In this case you need to remove all ink cartridges, turn off printer, and try to make a visual inspection and then turn it upside down and shake it well and see if that makes it work if no result then you need to further open it apart to look inside.

Tas H :

B - The electric sensor which receives signal from the mechanical paper sensor to detect jam has issues. This could be just because of dust or the sensor itself has gone bad. You should first open the printer and blow air inside using the compress air can. If still dosent work then like i said it could be the sensor itself and will cost you more to repair then to buy a new one, unless warranty will cover check with Cannon on that.

Tas H :

I hope this information is helpful. Feel free to ask for more clarifications if required. If you are satisfied with the help don't forget to hit ACCEPT on this answer. your positive feedback is warmly appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-dy64wlha- :

ok, i will do this. I note that when I opened up the printer to gain access to the ink cartridges that the belt behind the print head is now completely loose, i.e., off the spooler/tensioner on the left side p\of the printer.

Tas H :

that could be one of the reasons try to load it again, and if its still loose call Canon for a replacement/warranty issue1-800-652-2666. If its not broken then i believe its simply of the spooler. i hope this resolves the issue.