Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

Help! My other computer wont turn on it keeps beeping. I

Help! My other computer won't turn on it keeps beeping. I have a tune up through Geek Squad about a 6 to 8 months ago. Now what do I do. All of my Daugthers Pictures are on there. Please advise.
Panicked and Broken Hearted.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Eng. Andres replied 3 years ago.
hi, thanks for using JA:

Could you count how many beeps does the computer emit?. Is it a continuous beep sound?.

Regards!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
continuous.
hi,

You can try these steps to reset the computer-it won't delete any personal data on it.

1. Disconnect the computer from the main power.
2. If there are any USB device connected, disconnect it. Disconnect also the mouse and Keyboard.
3. Now press and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds. Then release the power button.
4. Reconnect the power to the computer and turn it back on.
If the computer is still beeping, it will suffer a hardware failure. A constant beeping means that the memory RAM modules are not correctly seated or they are corrupted. You can try to reconnect them. The memory RAM modules are connected near the letter "E" on this image-note that the image is only as a reference, but it's very similar to your particular computer:

And here is a guide on how to reconnect the memory RAM modules:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/how-to-install-memory-installing-desktop-and-laptop-memory-ram.html

If your computer has two RAM modules connected, try to guess if one of them is bad. Disconnect only one of the two modules, leaving the other one connected. Then power up the computer. If it stills beeping, exchange the modules and try to power up the computer again.

If none of this has worked, your computer will need to be services, because either the PSU unit or the Motherboard are bad. Any way, don't worry about the data inside the computer, you won't loose it. It's stored on the hard drive, and this error-the continuous beeping-doesn't affect the hard drive.

Regards! If that helped don't forget to accept my answer!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did what you said except disconnecting memory rams. My computer booted up I saw my desk top now my screen is black .. huh! Help
hi again,

Check the VGA cable. If the computer screen just went black, press and hold the power button to force the computer to turn off. Then turn it back on and see if the problem persists.

If the problems persists, do the following.

2. Now press and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds. Then release the power button.
3. Reconnect the power to the computer and turn it back on. Just after the screen lights up, press F8-you can press it various times- to enter the Windows Advanced Boot Menu. You will see something like this:

In that menu select "Safe Boot" and hit enter. The computer will start in safe mode. Within safe mode, you will be able to backup the important files on your computer-for example in a Flash Drive- to be sure that you won't loose them.

Regards!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok its back to beeping again ..
hi,

Then, please, repeat the process described in my 2nd answer. If the computer is still beeping, try the second part of that answer, and disconnect one of the memory RAM modules-disconnect the RAM module while the computer is off. I think that one of the memory RAM modules on your computer is causing the problem and you can troubleshoot which one is bad.

Regards!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do I need special tools to disconnect ram .. I only have a chick tool box .. not much in there .. If I am going to do this I want to be prepared.. sorry for all the questions. But I am about ready to throw it on the front lawn and run over it with my car. Happy Mothers Day to me .. :(

In the worst scenario, you will only need a screw driver. The memory RAM modules are fastened with a CLIP system so you won't need any special tool to remove them. Just the screw driver for the Side Panel of the Computer Box. Please, see the link bellow which explains carefully, how to remove and insert the memory RAM modules on a computer:

Regards! Hope the process goes well!

Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience: Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer