Craig
Craig, Electrical/ Electronic Technician
Experience:  33 years troubleshooting electronic and electrical control systems for all types of equipment.
21549903

I have a Sentry safe i my home. When I tried to close the

Customer Question

I have a Sentry safe i my home. When I tried to close the safe, the handle would not come up. What do I do? Is there a battery on the safe?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.

Craig :

Put the combo back in to unlock the door , it's locked in the open position.

Customer :

I did that but it still remains locked

Craig :

You will need to replace the batteries

Craig :

Is the yellow light on?

Customer :

I replaced the batteries. The yellow light is not on.

Craig :

Do you get a green light when putting in the combo?

Customer :

Yes

Craig :

but the handle will not raise and open the door latch?

Craig :

The door is now open?

Customer :

The door is open

Craig :

The door bolt is out and prevents it from closing?

Customer :

The door bolt is not out. Nothing is preventing it from closing.

Craig :

But if you close it, the handle will not go to the up position and lock?

Customer :

That's right.

Craig :

I'm still here, I'm searching for more info for your problem

Customer :

ok

Craig :

Do you have a key lock also?

Customer :

I have a round key that pulls out & pushes in

Craig :

You need to close the door and use the key and activate it and then move the handle up

Customer :

I am 2 stories away from the basement. Can I either go down there or should I call back?

Craig :

I will be here, you go try it and work the key and the handle to try and get it, I'll be here

Customer :

I can' t get the key to push in

Customer :

I am on mylaptop by the safe. Are you there?

Craig :

yes

Craig :

sorry

Customer :

what now?

Craig :

Try jiggling the handle and working the key, after you get a green light

Craig :

Something is just out of sequence

Customer :

I am trying that but doesn't seem to do anything--still locked

Craig :

the light is green the whole time?

Customer :

No the green light goes off

Craig :

Ok, start over the way you always have opened it, get a green light and lift handle within 5 seconds

Craig :

use the key too

Customer :

the handle just stays locked

Craig :

Not sure what to try. I am going to get the number for you to call Sentry Safe tech support for some help

Craig :

be right back...

Craig :

Call Customer Service Center at 800-828-1438 in the morning or maybe try tonight...

Craig :

I can't seem to get you going here

Craig :

Let me know what they say...

Craig :

I want to make sure you get in

Customer :

ok

Craig :

sorry you're having so much trouble here

Craig :

Let me know, bye for now...Craig

Customer :

never had a problem before today. Thoght it was a good product

Craig :

It's just hung up

Craig :

It's going to work again

Customer :

Hope so

Craig :

we'll get it. Let me know what Sentry says later..

Customer :

Since you were not able to solve my problem, I cancelled my American Express payment. The person at Sentry said that they do not have a charge for their service. Sorry you could not help.

Craig :

ok

Craig :

How did you get it open?

Craig :

the handle I mean?