Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

My Sony Trinitron t.v. wont turn on. When I depress the power

My Sony Trinitron t.v. won't turn on. When I depress the power button, it makes the sound like it turned on, then nothing. the "stand by/timer" light keeps flashing in cycles of 4.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 3 years ago.

Anthony's TV :

Hello I have loved Electronics since I was 5 years old I have been servicing Electronics for better than 20 years

Anthony's TV :

wHAT IS THE MODEL NUMBER OF THE TV?

Anthony's TV :

THE NUMBER YOU GAVE IS THAT OF A REMOTE

Customer:

Hahahah!! Yeah, it was the number on the remote, so I just assumed it was the t.v. Let me check...

Customer:

Ok. It is a KV-20FS100

Anthony's TV :

ok in this tv 4 blinks says VERTCIAL FAILURE

Anthony's TV :

but i have seen the tv throw that code when there is a HV failure

Anthony's TV :

becuase the Vert Circuit does not run until the Horiz circuit runs

Anthony's TV :

so it will detect that it does not work simply becuase it has no supply with the Horiz up and running

Anthony's TV :

do you feel any crackle or static on the screen?

Customer:

A very little

Anthony's TV :

I suspect you have a Horiz Deflection failure and this wont be an easy fix for a DIYer

Customer:

hol;d it. No. I dont

Customer:

hold

Anthony's TV :

you felt the degauss the coil hum and mistaked it for HV

Customer:

This is my parents tv, and it has happened in the past. Seems like that after a few hours it was up and running again, if my memory serves me.

Anthony's TV :

you may have had bad solder on the driver transformer but having this condition anf continuing to play the tv will cause a more serious issue

Anthony's TV :

do you have any repair skills ?

Customer:

No. Not really.

Anthony's TV :

this is a 20 inch tv

Customer:

Yes.

Anthony's TV :

most repair shops will not charge any more than 100.00 MAX for this tv with this issue

Customer:

Ok. I will just let them know that then. Thank you!

Anthony's TV :

Thanks for using JA

Anthony's TV :

Please "Accept" and have a great day If I have helped you today

Customer:

Ok. Thanks Anthony. You too.

Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience: 20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.