Damon
Damon , Installation Manager
Experience:  Home Theater Installation Manager/Installer
58867085

I recently purchased a Sharp Aquos LC-46LE810UN. The sound

Customer Question

I recently purchased a Sharp Aquos LC-46LE810UN. The sound suddenly goes out and I get a message that reads "An incompatible audio signal has been received. Change the output device audio settings to PCM." How is this accomplished? Please respond soon.
Thank you.
Dennis
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Damon replied 5 years ago.

Damon :

Hi I'm Damon, I believe I can help. First question is what source is the tv hooked up to.

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

Cable and I am using HDMI cables.

Damon :

Ok, what brand box, and who is your cable provider?

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

Insight provider. Pace HD-DVR box.

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

I have just discovered that by switching from cable via input button to DVDD in put and back to cable the sound returns; however, this still does not fix my problem.

Damon :

I see, I'm not familiar with Insight, but I have worked with Pace boxes. Anyway, what you need to look for is a way to get into the 'settings' or 'advanced settings' . We're going to be looking for something that says 'audio output' or 'digital out'.

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

I have a setting for HDMI (digital) and another for HDMI + analog. Is this it?

Damon :

Possibly, but how about something that says 'audio coding' or digital coding'.

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

Negative. Nothing like that on my menu. What and where is PCM?

Damon :

PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation. It is a 2.0 channel digital signal as apposed to a 5.1 code. What the tv is tring to say is 'I don't like the way you are sending me the audio signal so I'm not going to reproduce it'.

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

How can I make my TV happy?

Damon :

It is possible that on your cable box if you switch it to hdmi and analog it will change it to pcm instead of 5.1. Thats what I would try if I was concerned about the well being of my tv.

Damon :

This may not fix the problem, but worth the try

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

I don't recall seeing any type of switch on my cable box but I will look again. Back in a second.

Damon :

not a switch

Damon :

Its what you mentioned earlier in the conversation when you mentioned hdmi(digital) or hdmi and analog.

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

You are correct, no switch. The cable box is fitted for a high def tv and I had no problem with the TV that was previously hooked up to it. Don't you think my problem lies in my tv settings?

Damon :

Was your previous tv hooked up hdmi

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

Yes.

Damon :

Is your dvd hooked up HDMI, and does it work fine?

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

Yes.

Damon :

Good, I happen to be very familiar with the sharp quatron. I have installed alot of them and have not had to change any of the audio settings to date. I will say that everytime I hook one of those flatpanels I turn OFF the aquos link in the settings of the tv. Lets try that.

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

Done, however my sound returned while we were talking and I am not certain this has worked at the moment. What does the Aquos link control?

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

I just located a section in my manual concerning the Aquos link. It's still a bit Greek to me.

Damon :

It uses the hdmi cable to find out what device it is connected to. A useful tool if everything was sharp or communicated the same way, but unforuanatly it does more harm then good

Damon :

I'm not convinced that this problem won't return some day. If you want the problem to go away for good. Hook up the tv with component wires and analog audio wires. There won't be anyloss in quality, and analog is still much more reliable.

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

I understand. It seems to allow for multiple equipment contro by using a single remote. I'm still a bit in the dark, but do you feel that turning off the Aquos link has fixed my intermittant sound problem? controls

Damon :

I'm sure you have heard conflicting information about that, but I run into this almost everyday in the field. 9 out of 10 times it is an hdmi to tv issue.

Damon :

If the problem does not return, then just leave it hooked up HDMI

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

Will do. Thanks for your assistance. Please feel free to send me any new ideas you may consider at a later time. I hope this is the fix.

Damon :

Happy to help, 2 other things

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

Ok.

Damon :

Go into the settings, highlight picture, scroll down to advanced. Next turn off motion flow(makes real people look animated) and turn off the Active contrast(it will drive you nuts). Enjoy the quatron, great choice!

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

Done. Thanks a million, Damon. Keep up the great work.

Damon :

I see that you are still connected, can I assist with anything else?

JACUSTOMER-b7g0jwl2- :

Damon, although I appreciate the time you spent on-line with me concerning my problem it still has not fixed the problem. I am still experiencing the same problem as originally stated.

Damon :

So its back, bummer! Alright, lets try some more things. I was looking over our previous conversation and I see that I asked you to switch to HDMI and analog, is it in that setting now?