Craig
Craig, Electrical/ Electronic Technician
Experience:  33 years troubleshooting electronic and electrical control systems for all types of equipment.
21549903

My iPod voice memos wont sync correctly with iTunes. Some

Customer Question

My iPod voice memos won't sync correctly with iTunes. Some memos sync while others (seemingly at random) do not. Now, the memos won't even play on my iPod. Help?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Craig replied 5 years ago.

Craig :

Glance through here real quick and see if anything jumps out...there is a lot of good helpful tips and info here

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodtouch/syncing/

Craig :

Let me know if this is not helpful and we'll go another route to get you an anwer

JACUSTOMER-u9s31y35- :

I've tried everything in there and no luck so far, sorry. Any other advice?

Craig :

What is different with the ones that won't sync? File type or anything you can think of? Does it just do this intermittently?

JACUSTOMER-u9s31y35- :

It just does it intermittently. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no pattern. Sometimes I'll have recorded two or three voice memos before I sync, and only one of them will sync, even though they were all recorded within hours or something random like that.

Craig :

Do a few as a test. Pay close attention to the ones that won't go. Open the file 'properties' and have a look at everything and compare with the ones that sync. Not sure what else to check it's just randomness, doesn't make much sense at all does it?

Craig :

There must be some common thread here, we must find it

JACUSTOMER-u9s31y35- :

Well, so far all I've found is that the ones that won't sync on iTunes also won't play on my iPod; I can't find anything in the properties that points to any difference though.

Craig :

Have you looked closely at the file extension? The last part of the file type, in photos it's 'jpg' for example. This may have something to do with it. Wrong file type

JACUSTOMER-u9s31y35- :

The files that show up in iTunes are m4a. I can't find the file type for the other ones (the ones that won't sync) just on my iPod, and those files don't even show up as being on my iPod at all when I plug it in.

Craig :

This is telling us something. They are missing the file association necessary and the iPod does not recognize them. That's why they don't sync. Do some more test memos and save them differently so they get the file type association for the file. Each file has to have a file type asssociated or it's not a file the computer can recognize it

Craig :

Try saving them different somehow, to a different place

JACUSTOMER-u9s31y35- :

I don't know how to do that on the iPod. They all save automatically to the same place.

Craig :

But some don't have the same file extension as others right?

Craig :

When you look at them in properties, the memos have some some extensions on a few and others have a different extension?

Craig :

But yet they are just made the same as the other memos?

Craig :

What could be different about them that the iPod would assign a different file extension. Is it something in the way you are recording it, something there is different for the iPod to name it different...?? Focus on that how is it you are making the recording different? Some setting is not the same

JACUSTOMER-u9s31y35- :

I don't know if they have different file extensions. The problem memos won't register at all in iTunes, so I can't see what extension they are; I can't look at properties on the iPod itself, which is the only place those problem memos will display. I am not recording them any differently. There is literally no reason I can think of that any setting would be different at all.

Craig :

Have you tried a new memory SD card? Try a different memory card

JACUSTOMER-u9s31y35- :

I don't know what that means, sorry ... iPods have memory cards?

Craig :

Actually it does not. I thought it did but found out it does not.

Craig :

Something is corrupting the files, not sure where to go with this. I would call Apple tech support for this.