Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Denon AVR-1100 AV Surround Receiver 12+(?) years old

I have a Denon AVR-1100 AV Surround Receiver 12+(?) years old hooked up to Bose Acoustimass 7 system. Reconnected to base module after some renovation and was only getting minimal sound out of the base unit. Now won't even power on. Is this unit worth investigation a repair on rather than replacement?

Thanks
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Unplug the unit from AC power for 30 minutes, and disconnect all of the speakers and other associated equipment. Upon plugging back in, press and hold the power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds to force a hard reset.

If the unit starts up normally start connecting the speakers one at a time (shutting the power down before connecting each one), until one of the speakers causes the unit to shut down. This speaker, or the connection to the receiver is faulty and would need to be replaced.

If the unit will not power up with NO speakers connected, then it needs the output transistors replaced inside the unit. They are not user-replaceable as they are PCB mounted, and thermally coupled to a heatsink. In this case, the unit is in need of service.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried it. Won't power up. What could I expect (range) to pay to have this serviced as you describe?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

To replace the output transistors, you'd typically be looking at between $150-$200 for parts and labor included. I can send you a link to locate a service center if you'd like.

If you need further assistance let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What are the chances that the output transistors going could be related to speaker/wiring problems or is it most likely an age/use related failure?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

It's almost impossible to tell. A speaker/ wiring problem would cause the outputs to fail, but so can age. I've seen Denon's last for 10 years and have the outputs fail under normal use, and I've also seen them fail after 1-2 years.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks alot. I suspect the failure was age related. I'm fairly certain the wiring was OK. All new 14 or 18AWG CL2 class wiring from receiver to base and base to speakers with copper speaker plugs. I made sure I had black to black red to red matched at every stage. Could get sound out of the two 2nd zone speakers and only muted sound out of the base unit before the receiver let out a flash inside and wouldn't power up.

Thanks for your help.