Bruce B.
Bruce B., Electronics Technician
Experience:  US Navy trained. >25 Years experience. Currently in the Electronics Field. Hold FCC GROL
24834391

My Toshiba TV remote for my Toshiba TV will not work after

My Toshiba TV remote for my Toshiba TV will not work after I have put in new batteries.
I purchased a new universal remote, but I have to change the channel on the tv to Channel 1 and I can't move the channel manually on the tv. Need help.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Bruce B. replied 5 years ago.

Bruce B. :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you. There are a few things I would like to ask you first. What is the make and model of the universal remote? Also, is your TV working OK otherwise on channel 116 with Dish Network? How long have you been unable to change the channel manually?

Customer:

Bruce B.

Customer:

My universal remove is a Phillips Model SRP5107WM. My TV is working OK otherwise

Customer:

on channell 116 with Dish Network. I have not been able to change the channel manually

Customer:

since the remote quit working. I always changed the channel and adjusted the volume

Customer:

with the TV remote. I can change the channel on the dish network system with the dish

Customer:

network remote, but I can't change the channel on the TV itself. We've been

Customer:

adjusting the volume and turning the TV off & on manually.

Customer:

We've had this problem for a couple of weeks or so.

Customer:

Hope you can help me. Thanks. Mel Maeder

Bruce B. :

Since the TV stop changing the channel manually the same time the remote quit working, the problem may be with your TV. If the TV is unresponsive, you would not have been able to program the universal remote if there was more than one possible code. I know this sounds like a crazy question but, do you have a digital camera?

Bruce B. :

The reason I asked you about a digital camera is that it can be used see if a remote is functioning. If you look at the front of the remote through a digital camera, you can see the infrared transmitter light up when one of the buttons is pushed. I am suspecting that there was nothing wrong with your original remote. If you can see that on the original remote, it is working fine. Please let me know. Thanks, Bruce.

Customer:

Bruce,

Customer:

The remote is working through the eyes of the digital camera. Therefore I presume the

Customer:

problem is with the TV, is that correct? Since this is an eight year old TV, I presume the best solution would be to get a different TV rather than put much money into this one. It is a shame because it has a great picture. I think I will make it a basement TV. Thanks, Mel

Bruce B. :

Mel, that is correct. The original remote does not have a program that it can "loose", so if it has an output and fresh batteries, it should be working properly. I'm glad that I could help. Please choose the "Accept" button if you are you are satisfied. That is how I get paid for my time. Thanks again, Bruce.