Tas H
Tas H, Application Engineer
Experience:  A licensed Electrical Engineer by Profession and passionate technology gadget guy by hobby.
40636363

Am trying to connect new Sony CD/DVD player to new Panasonic

Customer Question

<p>Am trying to connect new Sony CD/DVD player to new Panasonic Viera TC-L32C22 television. Simple connector cable with yellow, white, and red jacks at each end. TV doesn't recognize any input signal from DVD, not sure have it in the right ports on TV, although did it like the manal says. Already have DirectTV on Television, on HDMI 1.</p><p>The CD/DVD player is a Sony DVP-SR500H</p>
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Tas H replied 3 years ago.

Tas H :

Hi, My Name isXXXXX will be happy to assist you with your question today.

Tas H :

Do you have input option on top right corner of your remote ? If all the component wires are connected properly to one of the available ports (Yellow, white and red) then all you have to do is select the right input source from the TV.

Tas H :

make sure after you connect the player with those cables run a DVD in play mode then go and change the input source from the button i just indicated untill you see the source connected. Let me know if you have any questions. I am available online right now

Tas H :

I see you are standing by. Whenever you are ready join the chat. Will be happy to guide you further to get this done. If you are satisfied with the help. Don't forget to hit ACCEPT. Thanks

Customer :

Hi, there are three remotes, the Sony DVD, the Panasonic TV, and the DirecTV, when I've used the "TV Input" option on the corner of the DirecTV remote, it brings up the Panasonic Input Mode menu on the tv screen, but it doesn't have DVD as an option (their illustration shows option 2, HDMI 1, has the DVD, but that already has the directTV.

Customer :

I've tried it with both remotes, they bring up the same menu and the DVD doesn't show as being recognized or seen.

Customer :

I've tried the cables three different ways on the back of the tv, there are two video ways with the yellow, white, and red ports, and also a "component in" way with green, blue, and red ports, which is where the Panasonic manual shows to hook it up. None of them bring up the dvd signal

Tas H :

If your Sony CD/DVD player is connected directly to the TV to one of the available component ports then you should use the Panasonic TV remote and select the appropriate AV input on the screen. Also just for sake of testing disconnect the DirectTV while you do this and one more then if this doesn't work try to connect the existing HDMI cable to CD/DVD player which is already working with the Direct TV, make sure to leave it on the same port on the TV.

Tas H :

let me break this down in bullets to make it easy

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX back and forth, as the tv's at the other end of the house.

Tas H :

sure please do that i will break it down for you so its easy to follow.

Tas H :

1 - first try to select the input source from the panasonic TV remote while the player is connected to one of the available component connection on the back of your TV - make sure something is running in your player- Continuously hit the input source button until you see the TV picks up the player in that AV input.

Tas H :

2- If the above doesn't work. do the same and disconnect the Direct TV from the HDMI port.

Tas H :

3- If none of the above works just for sake of testing. Connect the same HDMI cable to the player and plug it back to the TV on the same HDMI port which was working fine with the Direct TV. Make sure you do all these connections when everything is turned off. and once done turn on the player first and then the TV and see if the TV picks up the player.

Customer :

Hi, I don't have an HDMI cable for the DVD, it's a cable with three colored jacks, so it wasn't going to the HDMI ports, but to other ports. One set of those ports is "Component in", one set is "Video in 1", and the third set is "Video in 2". It's the two sets of video ports that were color coded with the yellow, red, and white.

Customer :

I'll go try and hit the input source continually as you suggested to see if it picks up anything, be right back.

Tas H :

ok

Tas H :

If the TV does not pick up the component cable for some reason. Your player got one HDMI port as well in the back and even though you dont have an extra HDMI cable right now you can use the one connected between your Direct TV box and the TV just for sake of testing. If your TV has more then one HDMI port which it should then that is the best configuration recommend between the player and TV . especially for HD and blu ray quality videos. You can purchase an additional HDMI cable and connect them

Customer :

Hi, the TV is seeing the DVD now through the component cable, and is showing the picture, but no sound is coming through....

Tas H : Well that is good.
Tas H : Just so you understand among those three cables yellow is for video - Red & white is stereo audio
Tas H : so just make sure those two are connected properly or push them firmly and also make sure its connected to the same row or column. These is possibility that you might have connected video to the right input and audio to different. so just verify those and it should work all good.
Tas H : connect all of them to the extreme right or the second one from right in a column as per the color code. and again make sure its firmly connected. I hope this resolves the issue.
Tas H : If you are satisfied with the help. Dont forget to hit ACCEPT. Don't hesitate to ask for more clarifications. Your positive feedback is warmly appreciated. Thanks
Customer :

Thanks, Tas. It is working now. If I have any more questions on this can I re-open this chat? I'll hit accept now. Best regards.

Tas H, Application Engineer
Experience: A licensed Electrical Engineer by Profession and passionate technology gadget guy by hobby.