Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a set of sony sava 500 theater speaker system. They

Customer Question

I have a set of sony sava 500 theater speaker system. They are hooked to a sony KP-43T75 projection tv. The tv plays just fine. The speakers come on just fine. Do a test tone all good.Everything works in order on both units just no sound. Ok here is the rest of the story. About 4 years ago lighting struck the house or power line. Scared the hell out of me its a big house I believe it brought it off slab and back downLOL. After I changed clothes from pissing myself I looked around. I was on computer it was off. But I went straight to it to see about it worked -good we still have porn Kidding. Tv come on but I didn't pay attention. Anyway you get what happen. I am thinking it may have got the audio or tv plugs going from speaker to TV. Every little adjustment everything works on the units. Even remotes still adjust what ever. Help me I have messed with 2 times a year for 5 years. My liver is going to divorce me if I go another year LOL. I wanted to make sure I was clear the tv speakers have sound, the sava 500 speakers all lights work test tone just no sound. <br />Thought this may help work through some things. When this happened it did blow out my sat reciver. The DVD player was not affected.So I did install new sat reciever and we had the DVD. All that still works just fine. Even the audio/video for cameras and cam corders all works. I have not removed one screw from either unit. Two more beers and she would have been scattard lol. Just thought this may be helpful. <br /> <br />Thanks'JeffPS I would like a response its only been a week that I have been waiting.                                                                                              I would really appreciate if I could get a response to my questions. I don;t know how to raise the limit on my question. But I am willing to go at least 100.00 for a correct answer. I am beginning to think this is a joke with no responses or updates. <br /> <br /> <br />Thanks in advance, <br />Jeff    <br /><br /><br />I guess you guys can't read the questions. Also seeing you cant read you can't follow directions. This site is a waste of my time as well as yours.. Maybe they will hire an expert in the fields thjey are selling answers for.                
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, possible suspects are:

• the AUDIO OUTput circuitry of the TV (not the internal speaker/amplifier);
  • the AUDIO INput circuitry of the Theater Speaker.

Offhand to determine which (assuming that it is just the TV connected to the SAVA), temporarily connect another audio source to any of the unused input jacks of the Theater Speaker (VIDEO IN or AUX IN). This other audio source could be an MP3 player, even the red & white jacks of the DVD or the satellite receiver (if available on the rear of these units). If the SAVA works using another source, the TV's AUDIO OUTput needs looking into.

Please post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.

Edited by Benimur on 1/31/2011 at 2:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We are thinking in the same lines. I will try what you suggested. I didn't know how to do it for sure. Didn;t want to take a chance on messing up something else. I will let you know how it goes. I would like to work througn this and settle up at one time. As I stated I will pay more if it works. Thank you for responding.

Jeff
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
I understand. The simplest would be a portable MP3 player or even a portable DVD player. A 3.5mm to RCA cable similar to what is shown below is required to connect the earphone jack to either the VIDEO IN or AUX IN of the SAVA.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The above would be readily available from most audio/video shops/stores and even electronics parts stores such as RadioShack.
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the accept and the bonus.

Please post back how things turned up.

The above was a test to determine which unit would require looking into. Additionally, knowing if the SAVA did have sound using another source such as the MP3 player would point to the TV as the culprit. The above information is important so as I would known which Service Manual to look into for further tests.

Edited by Benimur on 2/3/2011 at 8:13 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I have figuired out is in the speakers. I even know what the issue in a service manual. If you want to try and help you can go to http://www.e-servicemanuals.com/Products/Manuals/MusicEquip/Speakers/Sony/SAVA-500-SR16/SAVA500.pdf. That page will give to the complete break down of every piece.Go to page 37 of the file. At the top rt you will see 4 glass fuses labled. The fuses which are the first two you see with back open they are the 6.3amp 125 volt fuses. When I replace them they blow as soon as I power up.If your willing to help let me know. There are no repair shops around here. The amp and all comes out easy. The system isn't worth much I know I just really the system when it worked. I believe it is something simple to do. I don't know how to read the prints well enough.

Thanks inadvance,
Jeff
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
I understand and appreciate the offer for the use of your account with www.e-servicemanuals.com. With your permission, I would ask the moderators to have it edited/removed for your privacy and protection.

The 2 X 6.3A fuses are for the ±36V. If both blows at the same time, preliminary suspects would be:
  • C901 & C902 on the main board (least likely);
  • D901also on the main board (most likely).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is that something you can talk me through. And can I buy the parts? Or shouild I check about getting new main board from sony?
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
On one corner of the main board, there would be a rectangular part that is attached to an aluminum heatsink. It would have 4 legs and is D901. This is a bridge diode made up of 4 diodes inside. To test, set the multimeter to Ω and test one leg against the other 3. Repeat the pairing with the other legs always against the others. The test prods could also be reversed on the legs. The lowest reading should be about 5Ω. It could also be a lot higher but never a 0 or even lower than 5Ω.

The C901 & 902 capacitors are immediately next to D901. There are actually 4 of them but C901 & 902 are the smaller of the 2 pairs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
First on the removing my account pass words go ahead that will be fine. I will bring my meter home today and test these. Thank you for proceding with me. I want you to understand I am going to pay you for the help. If it is ok I would like to handle payment when its done or I throw in the towel. I will take care of you despite the outcome.

Thanks inadvance,
Jeff
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
What ever is fair/comfortable with you...

Perhaps it may help you visualize the flow of power:
  • from the transformer several AC voltages;
  • 2 wires from the transformer passes through 2 6.3A fuses + a ground wire;
  • the 2 wires + the ground/common then goes to the bridge diode;
  • the bridge diode converts the AC voltage to DC voltage;
  • there are 4 diodes to form a full wave;
  • think of it as the diodes in an alternator (or rectifiers);
  • the capacitors acts as filters to remove ripples;
  • think of them as the condensers of contact point ignition system;
  • the outputs are ±36V that partially powers the line (pre) amplifiers;
  • no ±36V, pre-amp inoperative;
  • no pre-amp, no audio signal flow.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi there agin. I finally got the the lower front cover off the damn thing. It was glued into place. I finally just got rough with it a little and got it. I got the guts or electric boards out. The # are confusing me. But the 4 capacators I think your talking of. Two are 50v 8200uF(m) written on them and have the word audio and negative written. The next have 63v1000uF(m) with audio on them also they are the larger of the two. If this is them where do I put my leads to test.

Thanks,
Jeff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,
Jeff

Also I looked at digram and the part numbers or numbers match to c901 and c902 are the 8200 # and c905 and c906 are 1000 #
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the 2 X 8200μF/50V would be C901 & 902.

Would you be comfortable powering the SAVA up? This is necessary to be able to mesaure the voltages
±36. Additionally, the measurement would have to be done at the bottom of the board; the solder side. If not possible, then:
  • set the meter to DCV;
  • the black testprod to any metal/chassis/ground such as a screw hole;
  • the red testprod to jumpers JW763 and JW240;
  • both should indicate a voltage reading of 36V;
  • similarly, there should be a 36 VDC on both pins of R759.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't mind powering it up. I will bring my meter home from work. I will let you know what I get.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
No prob.

Post back when available. I would be prompted and if online, immediately reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I could not find jw763. I did find jw240 I got no power out of it. R759 I got no power out of it. I wanted to make sure I hitting the points correctly so I went to a fused link with good fuse and got power.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
JW763 isd also R763 since instead of a resistor, a jumper is used.

Still, that there was no -36DCV measured on JW240 would indicate that the bridge diode D901 is not providing a DC output. Determine if there is AC input to D901. Set the meter to ACV. Test pins 5 and 6 on connector SDN901.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im sorry I have just gotten back. My daughter lost her baby at 23 weeks. We are dealing with that but it will be just fine before ypou say sorry about that LOL! Ok I was going to check the 5 and 6 pin. I hate to ask a silly question but what letter will be in front of them. EX- will it be d906. I saw c905 etc. Sorry!

Thanks Jeff
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jeff,

My sister have had several miscarriages perhaps due to work related stress. When the doctors told her that she has only 1 chance left, I asked her and my brother-in-law to have a vacation in Saipan and Tinian where I had a project going. Evidently it helped as they have now a daughter.

Still, back to your SAVA. I made another review of the schematics and came to the following preliminary conclusions:
  • that there would be no ±36V would be expected;
  • since the 2 X 6.3 A fuses always blow;
  • which would point to D901 as the most likely culprit.
  • desolder the four pins to remove;
  • replace with a D4SBL20UF1, Sony P/N 8-719-062-39.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wanted to tell you I haven't given up. I do have someone here now that can help me. The bridge was good I guess I didn't read the measurement correctly. However you are on the right track. My man here is come to the same place you have. As I said wanted to touch base. I am a man of my word and will settle with you when I figure this out. You will probably need to coach me more.

Jeff
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Good to know and appreciate the update.

With the SAVA unplugged, test the continuity of the capacitors C901 & 902. If neither is shorted or reads really low, then the short/problem would be further and likely not on that board.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Actually I am back to your orginal d901. I had removed it and took it to radio shack to get another. A gentleman ask was I sure it was bad. I said not really. He did a continuity test which it passed. But the gentleman here helping me out some even though it does test out means nothing with out reading volts. Now that I am comfortable with his knowledge seeing he come up to your thinking. I have shared your info and we are starting fresh with your info. Your my guy and will keepyou posted.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Great, post back how things turned up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good news d901 the bridge looks like it was issue. I just put power to it and blown fuses in a bit I'm putting back together and test on TV. Will let you know today. You are great talk soon.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Please post back how things turned up.

Am playing husband, father and host.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well i have a problem. When I put it back together I blow the first fuse (6.3) Not the second. With the board out and doing a bench test blew no fuses. Put back together I blow one. The bridge was no longer available from sony and couldn find one. So I went to Radio Shack and bought a 8 amp 400 volt bridge. You can veiw it on their web site. It was made differently so I did have to put longer leads and fab them to fit. All I can figure is I may have them touching or something. I am going to remove boards again and see what I may have done. But I am 1/2 there LOL.

Hope you doing a good job keeping everyone taken care of as the host. :) I will be back in touch. This is a learning experiance. I am not near as smart as I thought lol. I won't give up now if I have to rebuild the whole dang thing :)
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for understanding.

If it worked earlier (benchtest), then agree on the idea of "touch something" which of course calls for as you again posted, "remove boards again" to review/check the physical mounting with particular attention to the bottom of the boards and if they are in contact with a metal or "something'.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think the problem is going to be where I installed bridge. taking it loose a few times and reinstalling I think I have maybe a contact point into another. The gentleman that was helping guide me will be here at the office in the morning. He is doing some clean-up and working on our network. That heat sink on one side is kinda getting wide. that may be my issue. Will let you know.

Jeff
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
As you posted, halfway there. Would look forward to update(s) if and when convenient.

Again, good luck.