Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a portable DVD Panasonic LS80 and an error code H03

I have a portable DVD Panasonic LS80 and an error code H03 appears on the screen can you tell me what the problem might be
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, on the query "...portable DVD Panasonic LS80...error code H03...tell me what the problem..."; H03 indicates that the built-in diagnostics has sensed that the traverse motor/mechanism is not operational. The traverse assembly is responsible for the sliding movement of the carriage. The carriage is the "bed" where the laser/optical pickup is mounted on.

Offhand, the prescribed approach is to open up the Panasonic and replace the traverse deck assembly.

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center (specially if still under some form of extended warranty) or a qualified professional;
  • evaluate other options considering cost of repair, down time, cost of shipping, parts availability and comparable prices of newer/better models.

Are you considering a DIY approach?

If yes, perhaps try a possible workaround prior to opening the unit:
  • clean the worm gear and the guide rail on the sides of the carriage;
  • re-lubricate lightly with WD40 or any light/thin oil;
  • exercise the carriage by moving it back and forth a couple of times.

In the representative image below, the carriage is the squarish mounting where the lens is located. It would be towards the right of the center spindle (Disc Motor).

In the image below from the service manual of the DVD-LS80, please note the location of the worm gear and the guide rail (blue).

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Edited by Benimur on 1/20/2011 at 4:50 AM EST