Tas H
Tas H, Application Engineer
Experience:  A licensed Electrical Engineer by Profession and passionate technology gadget guy by hobby.
40636363

My Samsung monitor constantly flashes settigs screens ....brightness

Customer Question

My Samsung monitor constantly flashes 'settigs' screens ....brightness, contrast, etc.
randomly all the time ( every 3 to 60 seconds). I do not know how to stop them, they interrupt everything I do on the computer. I have 5 control buttons in addition to the on-off button.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Russ
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Tas H replied 4 years ago.

Tas H :

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be happy to assist you today.

Customer :

Ok, I wait for your comment.

Customer :

Thanks, Russ

Tas H :

Sorry for the delay I thought I already gave you the response.

I was not able to locate your specific model, may be some mistake with model number. If this is a hardware issue i have feeling that those buttons have some sort of electrical contact happening without you touching them. Try to release them with something pointing may be pin but please make sure safety is first. If not than do a factory reset if you have not done so far. Follow your specific model menu or see manual for instructions or here i found some general information from Samsung that might guide you resolving this problem. If none of these work and your monitor is still under warranty call Samsung on number below without any delay. Good Luck

Always ask if you need more clarification/information. Please click ACCEPT button if you are satisfied. Your POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Thanks

Resetting Current Samsung Monitors

To reset most current Samsung monitors to their factory settings, follow these steps:

Press the Menu button on the monitor. The OSD menu appears.

Press the Adjust (up or down arrow) button on the monitor to change the menu window until you see the window containing Autosource, Image Reset, and Color Reset.

Press the Select button on the monitor to select the this window.

Press the Adjust button to highlight either Image Reset or Color Reset.

Press the Select button. The Image Reset or Color Reset window appears.

Press the Brightness/Adjust button on your monitor. Yes is highlighted.

Note: As soon as you select Yes, the monitor resets to the factory presets.

Press the Menu button on the monitor three times to exit.

Note: You must perform both Image Reset and Color Reset to reset your monitor completely to factory presets.

Resetting Older Samsung Monitors

To reset most older model Samsung monitors to their factory presets, follow these steps:

Press the + or - button or the Up or Down arrow button on the monitor to change the menu until you see the Reset Menu.

Press the Menu button to select the Reset Menu.

Press the Up or Down button on your monitor to highlight Geometry Reset or Color Reset.

Press the Menu button to select either Geometry Reset or Color Reset.

Press the Up or + button to select Yes.

Press the Exit button on the monitor to exit the menu.

Note: You must perform both Image or Geometry Reset and Color Reset to reset your monitor completely to factory presets.

Samsung Call Centre Operational Hours

The call centre number 0860SAMSUNG (Share Call)

08:00 ~ 20:00 Monday ~ Friday

08:00 ~ 17:00 Saturday

08:00 ~ 17:00 Sunday

Customer :

Taz: I tried many times, cannot get your instructions to work. Sometimes

Customer :

menu will not highlight, sometimes monitor buttons will not work,

Customer :

sometimes menu will not do anything ... etc. Any suggestions?

Customer :

The model number is 931B (R) A

Customer :

Thanks again,

Customer :

Russ

Tas H :

Hi Russ

Tas H :

Without even further investigating problem i have feeling that board behind your button which include menu and other settings has some sort of short circuit. Let me look little bit more into your specific model

Tas H :

Tell me one thing . is this monitor placed in area where you more moisture than your rest of house or generally speaking you live in area which got more moisture in the air. Also if the buttons were exposed to any liquid, especially while cleaning the screen. spraying windex or any other liquid?

Customer :

Tas: The computer is in normal ambient environment, several computers for many years. I have never used solutions to clean the monitor.

Customer :

Hope this helps. I appreciate your efforts.

Customer :

Thanks, Russ P.S. I have never had this problem with any monitor before and this is the only Samsung I have.

Tas H :

I think this is the bad Apple :) how old is this monitor ?

Tas H :

Ok Russ,

I think from understanding the nature of the problem and few initial troubleshooting we did this is most likely hardware issue with the circuit board behind these buttons on your monitor. Display is good as long as you have something on the screen. Just on a side note try to use air blower and blow on those buttons just in case you have anything messing around underneath.

Here is a website where you can buy refurbished components for all sort of monitors.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/

Here is my final verdict and honest suggestion. With problem like your monitor have and especially if this is out of warranty there is absolutely no point in repairing even if you find the associated part or getting it done through a service technician. The reason i don’t recommend this is due to the cost. A brand new monitor similar to yours will be around $150 and you can buy a perfectly working used one in your area around $50 - $70 rest you can do the math.

Tas H :

You still there Russ? If you have any question or need any help further with this question please ask. If you are satisfied with my help please don't forget to hit ACCEPT so i can get credit for the help and time. Thanks and have a great day.