Pradeep Mallick
Pradeep Mallick, Engineer
Experience:  2 years of experience .Certified engineer in electronics and telecommunication
29926942

I have a Nakamichi MB-4S, 7 Disc Music Bank System, CD player.

Customer Question

I have a Nakamichi MB-4S, 7 Disc Music Bank System, CD player. While I was out of the house a kind relative must have tried to play a CD. When starting the CD player, I hear a "whirring" noise, much like a CD not working correctly but spinning. Then I get "Er" message and the CD numbers below it start blinking. Is this a trip to the repair shop (I live in Silver Spring, Maryland) or is this something I can fix. I'm pretty good at taking things apart and getting the majority of pieces back in the correct place.
Thanks, XXXXX
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pradeep Mallick replied 3 years ago.
Hello dear customer.
Thank you for using just answer.
I am glad to be at your service.

Dear Sir/Madam

From the description you have provided , I find three problems which may cause this -

PROBLEM 1 - POWER SUPPLY -

This occurs when the power supply is irregular.
This heats up the main board of the device as a result of which , the device does not work.
You shall need to check the power supply aspect.

PROBLEM 2 - THE LENS -
This is a very common problem and every disk player user encounters this some day or the other.
This occurs when the lens of the disk player is dirty . Hence , the lens fails to read the disk continuously which gradually decreases to zero.
To solve this problem , we have three steps -
1. Use a lens cleaner disk to clean the lens of the device.
2. If step 1 does not help , then you shall have to visit a local technician who can open up your device and oil it up again.
3. If both the steps do not help , then you shall have to replace the lens of the device.

PROBLEM 3 - THE LASER DIODE -
These are small diodes present in the internal circuitry of the disk player which help in reading and playback of disks.
These diodes have a life span of around 2000 hours of usage and is a fact with almost all companies producing disk players.
These particular diodes have no possible repair and shall have to be replaced at marginal expenses.

This shall solve your problem.

Hope the information provided was helpful.

IF MY SERVICE WAS SATISFACTORY THEN PLEASE REMEMBER TO ACCEPT AND GIVE FEEDBACKS.

Regards
Pradeep.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I forgot one important thing - I cannot open the door to unload or load a CD. It's "locked".
Try to reset the device by leaving it unplugged for an hour.
May be the lock shall unlock.
If it doesnot unlock , then you shall have to find a hole generally on the tray and pusha paper clip into it to unlock it.

regards
Pradeep
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unplugging doesn't work - no hole for a paper clip. Any other suggestions on how to open the CD tray?
Reg