Anthony
Anthony, Technician
Experience:  20+ years in trade TV and Electronics
18621325

My Samsung DLP TV has problem the red color is gone, so everything

Customer Question

My Samsung DLP TV has problem: the red color is gone, so everything is green/blue. The technician told us on the phone that it is a problem with light engine and it will cost almost $1,000 to replace. Any other options?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hello
Welcome

Thanks for using JustAnswer

Please initially check the leads that go into the back of the set and any other equipment you may have like a satellite or cable box make sure the leads are home good and true both ends then......

Is the red missing on other inputs like a dvd or vcr?

If you press the menu button of the sets own remote control can you still see the red missing perhaps in the lettering of the menu?

Let me know please

Anthony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Anthony.

Thanks for the response. I have tried all of the above. It is defiantly problem inside the TV set. It looks like we lost red color om our TV. The only color we can see is green and blue. I was told that my light engine had gone bad and needs to be replace. This is almost a $1K.

Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Well if all the above checks have been carried out and you still have this the light engine has failed i'm afraid

The $1 k is a little high however and I would ring around for more quotes

If you think you can do this yourself....

The options are to replace the DMD board DMD chip included $500+ and hell to align

Light engine to be removed from set and despatched to a light engine rebuild company like www.triststatemodule.com $300-$400

Or a replacement light engine $400-$600

You would need to be fairly technical to approach the above work and a service manual is a must have www.nodevice.com should have one

Anthony

Edited by Anthony on 11/14/2010 at 1:21 PM EST