romr2009
romr2009, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
24179821

I have an ATT Speakerphone/Answering System 1855 that I bought

Customer Question

I have an ATT Speakerphone/Answering System 1855 that I bought online and that I received on April 29, 2010. It worked very well and I was receiving my messages when I would get home.

For the last month callers have been listening to 10 rings and then are cut off-my message does not come on line and there is no generic message either. they have no opportunity to leave a message. I've tried it with my cell phone and had the same result.

I have checked my message and it is fine. About every 5th caller wanting to leave a message is told the memory is full and there are NO messages in the memory. Help
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  romr2009 replied 4 years ago.
3w94vd7n.

Reset the controller:
  • Unplug the AT&T power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove, inspect the gold contacts and re-insert the telephone cord connector(s) at both ends.
  • ----- Wait 20 minutes. -----
  • Re-apply power.

romr2009, Electronics Engineer
Experience: 32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've had computer problems so didn't get to you answer till this morning.

Anyway, I've followed your instructions 3 different times today. First 2 times there were 10 rings and then cut off no message. Third time, 7 rings, cut off, no message.

I did check my message and it is ready to go. What do I do now? I'm familiar with unplugging everything on my computer and waiting a half hour for it to reboot and it always starts working fine.

Still messageless. Susan Schmidt

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still have the problem of no message and the phone cutting off after 10 rings or message saying the message are all full when they are EMPTY.
I still have the problem of no message and the phone cutting off after 10 rings or message saying the message are all full when they are EMPTY
Expert:  romr2009 replied 4 years ago.
Hi SusanS,

• If the machine rings 10 times before picking up, the answering machine is turned off.

If off, system will answer after 10 rings. Enter
your access code, then press 0 0 to turn on.

http://telephones.att.com/documents/product_Product/219/UserManual/1982/1855_manual_bkm.pdf

• Is the red light above the PLAY/STOP button on or off?
-----
  • Is the ac adapter loose fitting into the wall outlet?
  • Is the ac adapter loose fitting into the AT&T machine?

Edited by romr2009 on 11/12/2010 at 7:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

11-12-10 1:50 p.m. CST

Answers to questions 11-12-10 2:33 p.m. EST

The red light above the PLAY/STOP button is on

I assume the ac adapter is the telephone cord that goes into the wall outlet and the other end goes into the AT&T machine. They are NOT loose fitting, they re nice & snug

I missed 2 calls this morning when I was gone because the answering machine did not pick up but did shut down after 10 rings one time and said "messages are full" the second time. I clean it out every day so it is "EMPTY ". Susan

Expert:  romr2009 replied 4 years ago.
  • No not the telephone cord, the power cord.
-----

• Call the AT&T with your cellphone while you can see the AT&T.
  • If you hear the telephone ring on the AT&T 10 times when the AT&T answerer is turned on, the AT&T has a fatal electronic failure.
  • If you don't hear the telephone ring on the AT&T 10 times when the AT&T answerer is turned on the phone line may be bad.