Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
14666028

Masters vs Bachelors degree in Electronic/Electrical Engineering.

Masters vs Bachelors degree in Electronic/Electrical Engineering. My son is considering studying for an undergraduate degree in Electronic/Electrical Engineering. I know that a Masters degree involves 4 years of study and that a Bachelors degree is only 3, but at the end of the day, what does have one degree versus the other qualify or allow my son to do career-wise? (This relates to study in the UK.)

Hi happy to advise.

A bachelor's degree in EE is a 4 year degree. It takes most 4.5 to 5 years to finish becuase of the difficulty of the course work required to get the degree.

If you are talking about an electronic tech school degree, these are typically 2 year degrees. They are not engineering degrees, they are usually called "engineering technician" or something along those lines. The best way to describe this route is that with this sdegree you will end up working FOR someone with the 4 year engineering degree.

As far as the value of going to school 2 more years to get a Master's degree in EE, alot of people do this, especially foriegn students. However the actual value of this is questionable at best in my opinion. Look at it this way, the 4 year Bachelor's degree guy gets out of college and makes 60k/yeare, for 2 years AHEAD of the Master's student. The master's degree engineer graduates and may start out at 70k/year instead of 60k/year because of his degree. However the Bachelor's student is already at that salary level now, has 2 years REAL experience, and has made 120k already over the last 2 years instead of spending 20k on school.

If I were to get a Master's degree ontop of my Electrical Engineering Degree, it would be an MBA(Masters Business Administration) as this could catapolt one into management one day.

That's my 2 cents.

Hope this helps,

-Jared

If this answer helped you please click the ACCEPT button.

P.S. - Keep in mind my perspective is from my experience working and going to school in the US, but should apply internationally.

Edited by jaredpoz on 10/30/2010 at 9:16 PM EST
Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience: BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert
Masters in the UK does not mean the same thing as in others countries (they are not even the same in US and Canada). For example for us in Canada the master is a 2 year program ending with the production of the thesis and come after the bachelor diploma (we don't need it to enter the professional order). He should take the Master because it's needed to apply as a Chartered Engineer with the UK Engineering Council. Note that it's still possible to apply to it if you just did the Bachelor but it will require Bachelor Eng with honours and a subsequent postgraduate diploma or MSc (the one needed to take research job and university teacher position), or by completion of the Engineering Council postgraduate diploma.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: 16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming