Anthony
Anthony, Technician
Experience:  20+ years in trade TV and Electronics

I have an Aiwa NSX-3500 stereo. It has recently stopped playing

I have an Aiwa NSX-3500 stereo. It has recently stopped playing most CD's. Some, it will still play, but most it will not. Frustrating!
What can I do to fix it?
Who in Minnesota is qualified to work on Aiwa Stereos?

Thanks for your help!

Alan Colliander
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Bemidji, MN 56601 XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Anthony :

Hello Welcome

I will give some advice when I know your in chat thanks

Anthony :

hello are you there?

Customer :

Yes

Anthony :

How often do you use the unit and how old is it please?

Customer :

Would like to use it more often if it worked properly. Used to used it 2-3 times per week.

Customer :

The age of the unit it about 10~ years.

Anthony :

ok what you need to try first is this

Anthony :

laser lens cleaner

Anthony :

this will clean any oxidation on the lens

Customer :

Do you want me to click on that link now?

Anthony :

yes

Anthony :

i will let you have a look

Anthony :

however the laser doesnt last for ever and 10 years use would have taken its toll on the power of the laser its very likely the laser pen is failing

Customer :

OK, I see what looks like a CD. How does it clean a lens?

Anthony :

you just insert it into the unit it has a brush on it sometimes more than one and it sweeps the lens of the laser, looks like an cd

Customer :

You say the laser pen is failing. How expensive is that? Who can work on my stereo to repair it?

Anthony :

You need to understand that in the past 10 years audio has come a long way and to have your unit repaired wouldnt really be worth the expense,that is to replace the laser unit would be uneconomic

Customer :

Necessarily, I can't try this cleaner without mail ordering and then trying it. That may take several days. Is my deposit held until I can determine if this fixes the unit or not?

Anthony :

it may be possible to turn the laser power up on your unit a tech may do this but eventually the laser will die

Customer :

It was a relatively expensive unit and has great sound; can't believe it couldn't be fixed more cheaply than buying a new unit.

Anthony :

You ask questions we give answers if its a fix thats great but this isnt always the case

Customer :

So what constitutes a satisfactory answer, which will then release my payment? My opinion? If I pay for advice that doesn't work ... that seems to not be satisfactory.

Anthony :

The answer is 1 If the cleaner doesnt work your laser has had it and it wont be worth fixing even the tech you potentially took it to would tell you this unless it was an adjustment to the laser power but as i say that would be temporary if the laser is dying you cant bring it back to life without replacement

Customer :

Are replacements available? I did not take it to a tech, that's one of my questions, WHO is qualified to work on Aiwa stereo units in the state of MN, or in Fargo, or Grand Forks, ND?

Anthony :

So you really want me to say it can be fixed?its nothing to do with satisfactory this is the answer

Anthony :

Im not a magician!

Customer :

Of course, none of are...for real.

Anthony :

their are no qualified aiwa techs that all finished 30 years ago lol

Anthony :

you need to take it if you want the power adjusting again if the tech agrees to an independant audio shop

Anthony :

one in your local vicinity

Anthony :

in yellow pages

Customer :

30 years? Didn't think I was that old. The unit is only about 10 + years old.

Customer :

OK, I guess. Thanks. Not the answer I was hoping for.

Anthony :

yes 30 years ago when all manufacturers had their own service staff

Customer :

Right

Anthony :

too expensive now

Anthony :

try the cd

Customer :

OK. So now what?

Anthony :

its not gteed to work but it could be the lens dirty

Customer :

Understood.

Anthony :

10 years to have a unit is a credit but it wont last forever

Customer :

I figured that there wasn't much that could be adjusted in there, being electronics and all.

Customer :

I was hoping for replacement parts.

Anthony :

economic repairs that wont get to the cost of another unit is the way to go

Customer :

yes

Anthony :

no their may be a control in their and probably is that adjusts the laser power ie increases it

Customer :

I guess we've gone where we can go. Finished?

Anthony :

replacing the laser isnt an economic option

Anthony :

if you are?

Customer :

The unit was $600.

Anthony :

yes 10 years ago

Anthony :

not now

Customer :

which is like 1200 now

Customer :

Thanks for your help. I'll try the cleaner

Anthony :

well its your call but i really cant see an equivalent unit to your costing $1200

Anthony :

thanks

Anthony, Technician
Experience: 20+ years in trade TV and Electronics