Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My kindle got wet and will not turn on. What can I do

My kindle got wet and will not turn on. What can I do?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Which Kindle model do you have, and how long have you owned it?

-Dan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's the "Amazon Kindle" Their doesn't seem to be any other model number on it.

I've had it for 6 months.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Does your Kindle look like this one?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. That's it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. That's it.

Are you still there?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, great. You have the "Kindle 2".

First, please stop trying to turn it on. If there is any residual moisture in the device, turning it on may cause a short circuit condition, which may damage the device further and may even render it useless. Also, please do not use any heat generating devices such as a hair dryer.

Normally the first step is to remove the battery... but I do not want you to do this. The Kindle 2 does not have a user removable battery, and you are still within your warranty window (the warranty does not cover water damage, but we'll get to that).

Now, your Kindle's case is fairly tight and very well made. There aren't very many high risk spots in regard to moisture, but that depends entirely on how long it was exposed. Water is, well, it's water. Fluids can get into all sorts of places.

I want you to place your Kindle in a bowl filled with uncooked white rice. Cover the device completely, and do not seal or cover the bowl. Rice has an affinity for moisture, and will draw what it can from your Kindle. You may also wish to use some desiccant packs, which are more effective than rice, but harder to come by. You'll need to let the Kindle sit in the bowl overnight. Be sure to rotate your Kindle every hour or so throughout the day so all available moisture can be drawn out.

Tomorrow morning, remove your Kindle from the bowl and set it on a paper towel for a couple hours. You should also inspect the screen for condensation. If, after the hours on the towel, there are no signs of moisture... you may try to turn your Kindle on again.

If it won't turn on, charge it until the green light next to the Kindle's USB socket is green. I recommend using the wall socket adapter and USB cable to do this... do not charge it with your computer, just in case a malfunction occurs.

If it still won't turn on, I'd like you to slide and hold the power switch for 30 seconds, then release. Now, be patient and watch it for a few minutes... this should have triggered a reset.

IF the rice/desiccant, charging, and reset did not help... your Kindle will need to be serviced. Now, as I mentioned initially... your warranty does not cover water damage. And while I certainly do not condone providing misinformation to Amazon, rest assured it is very difficult to tell if a malfunctioning device has gotten wet previously (as long as all the moisture has been removed). Your warranty is for 12 months, and covers all defects in material or workmanship on the hardware components only.

I hope this helps. Post back with any further questions or concerns. Else, please consider Accepting my answer.

-Dan

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.