Anthony
Anthony, Technician
Experience:  20+ years in trade TV and Electronics
18621325

When I turn my LG plasma 42 tv the on button flashes green

Customer Question

When I turn my LG plasma 42" tv the on button flashes green 14 times.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hello
Welcome

Thanks for using JustAnswer

I just need to gather some information from you before I can diagnose the problem....

When you say it blinks 14 times do you mean 14 times pause then 14 times again?

Did this fault occur while the set was running or was it from a start up of the set?

How old is the set please?

Anthony

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IThe TV is only 2 to 3 years old. It occurred while I was watching a program and I switched channels and the picture came and went so I changed back to the original channel and it was okay. So I tried to switch back to the other channel again and same thing occurred so I swithed back to the original channel again and this time nothing but a blank screen. When I turn it on the green light flashes 14 times before it stops blinking and stays solid.
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hello again

Its very probable that the firmware has failed and in turn damaged one or more of the scan XY boards and buffers

To find out which has failed would mean disconnecting boards in turn until the Vs and Va re-appear (voltages on the powerboard that feed the scan boards)

http://us.lgservice.com/vchip_html/V-chip_upgrade_for_your_set.html

Here is where LG hang the firmware for various models your model isnt listed for firmware but is at the bottom only to contact LG

If you have any technical know-how please let me know as checks can be made on the boards to at least establish which boards may have failed this would mean an ability to use a multimeter

Ideally the mainboard would need to be changed (firmware pre-loaded)before any boards are changed as very often its the firmware that has caused the issue in the first place fitting boards without doing this is putting the new boards at risk of failure after power-up

Let me know what you think of this awkward situation

Anthony