Aric , Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a TA-2A Nakamichi high definition tuner amplifier/receiver.

I have a TA-2A Nakamichi high definition tuner amplifier/receiver. I don't normally turn off the power on/off button on the front panel, but today I did.

When I went to turn it on several hours later the lights came up but the power on/off button is in the flashing green (muted interval) mode. It never stabilizes to a solid green light.

I am not getting any sound out of my speakers when running the CD nor when running the turner. To boot my CD player doesn't seem to show the number of minutes for each song yet runs through the songs but with no sound.

Can you give me some possible reasons why my faithful receiver of 20 yrs is now acting funny after I shut it off.

Thanks
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Here is what likely happened. After 20 years, the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply have started to dry out (common life for these is 15 years tops). With the power button left on all the time, the caps never fully discharged and maintained a charge. Normally when you shut the main power off, the caps drain and upon applying power they recharge. The thing here is that they have not discharged in quite some time, due to the power switch being left on. When you shut it off, they were discharged for the first time in a long time and being as they are 20 years old, they are now failing to recharge, which is showing the receiver a short.

Fortunately, capacitors are both inexpensive and easy to replace. The first thing I would do is have a Tech check the caps for shorts and leaks and then replace them with caps of the same rating in Uf and Voltage.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!