Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert

I need help in getting sound from my Sansui LCD digital TV

Customer Question

I need help in getting sound from my Sansui LCD digital TV with DVD (HDLCDVD325B) to my new Sony sound bar system Home Theatre System (SA-WCT150). I have tried several things with no avail.
The TV works fine but when I try to hook it up to the sound bar it doesn't work. Currently I have it connected with coaxial cables out of the
TV on to the Sony amp. There is no sound. I have the TV speakers turned off but have the volume up on both TV and Sony amp. No sound.

Help! Jim
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Hi there happy to help.

Your problem is you need the audio to your soundbar system from its source. Example - cable box, DVD, Blue Ray, etc........

See page 10 of the following document for a really nice picture example of what I am talking about......

http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/warranty/SEL-asset-208836.pdf

Hope this clears things up for you.

-Jared

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, this doesn't help. I have read the manual and viewed the page you referred to, and tried every way I know how to do as it shows. The problem, I think, is that I have no optical connection so I can follow the set-up procedures outlined in the Sony manual. The connections from the TV are made to the subwoofer and then Sony has provided wiring to go to the sound bar. I feel that something within the amp in the subwoofer needs to be told to listen to the TV....

Perhaps you can find the Sansui manual for the HDLCDVD325B but I don't know that that will help. I suspect the problem could also be a non-compatability issue. In that case I don't know what I do. I didn't even consider that could be a problem when I ordered these on line....

Jim
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Jim,

You absolutely have to have this optical cable. Otherwise the soundbar has no way of getting an audio signal. Get yourself 2 optical cables and connect EXACTLY like the picture shows. Then you will have to set the amp's output to "OPT"-(see page 32 of the manual)

http://www.a1components.com/subcategory.aspx?pid=69&gclid=CNKQze-ApqQCFUfX5wodizkU4g

Hope this helps,

-Jared

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX The Sony sound system came with the digital optical cable, but there appears to be no way to attach it to the Sansui TV. Or make any other digital optical connection.

Jim
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Does your TVs HDMI input say ARC next to it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
More information from me, or are you getting more on your end?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

I need to know if your HDMI input on your TV says "ARC" next to it......

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I have looked for it several times, it's not there. That is why I am concerned about compatibility.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

OK, you will need to connect your TV, using analog audio cords then(red, white RCA jacks) Your TV has these correct?

-Jared

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

So get yourself a pair of red and white RCA cables. Connect to your TV's audio out(red and white RCA) to the Sony's red and white audio inputs labelled TV.

Then your done. Not as good as a digital connection, but it will work for you.

-Jared

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, and that is what I have been trying to do, without success. Is there no way, I assume to go with the digital optical to the Sansui? I have had the analog connection going from the Variable audio out on the TV to the audio in TV on the Sony. Is that correct?

I don't really know what you mean by RCA, but the ones I used fit the connecting posts. It seems that I am back where I started! Can I get sound from my Sansui to the Sony system?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

OK, now you will have to select this input on the Sony. You are probably set to OPT by default, switch through the different inputs on the AMP until you get your TV's audio.(sghould be the output labelled "TV")

This is a button on the front of the unit labelled INPUT.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have done this several times already, also experimenting with the speakers turned on and off on the TV. I still feel like the Sony isn't "listening" and I have no way to telling it to because I don't have a video connection so I can read the prompts I think it would send to the TV screen.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Try this,

Connect the RCA's from the TV to the Sony's, SA-CD/CD input connection. Then switch the input on the Sony to the SA-CD/CD option. All this while the TV is on of course.

Sound now?

-Jared

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

ALso, may I asdk, what is the source being watched on the TV? Cable? DVD?

Next thing to try is forget about the RCA's from the TV. Then take the optical from your source and take it to the optical on the Sony. Switch to the appropriate input on the Sony and see if you get sound. There is really no reason you need audio FROM the TV as long as you can get it from the source(DVD, Blue Ray, Cable, etc.....)

Let me know,

-Jared

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No sound. I then tried with TV speakers on and off...nothing. The volume controls are up on both but low enough on the TV so I can hear if the others work. We are still not doing anything I haven't already tried....
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

You have audio connections from a DVD player to the Sony? Can you get sound through playing a DVD?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Since the TV has the built-in DVD, it has been my assumption that once I get sound from the TV to the Sony the DVD sound would also work.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Yes, this should be working with what you've tried. Thanks for your patience these things are difficult to troubleshoot over the internet. I'll look into this some more tomorrow. Maybe there is some stupid thing we are missing. Wouldn't be the first time......

-Jared

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, Jared.

Jim