Aric , Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Sony DAV-HDX275 showing PROTECTOR and PUSH POWER. Page

Customer Question

Sony DAV-HDX275 showing 'PROTECTOR' and 'PUSH POWER'. Page 93 of manual says to contact nearest Sony dealer. The manual says 'Are the + and - speaker cords short-circuted?'.....yes, they are. One of the wires came free and hit my surge protector and caused a spark which has caused this problem. The manual says to contact Sony. Is there no fix for this ? Any ideas how I should procede ? Thanks.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.
Hello, This is a common occurrence for any AV receiver or amplifier when either of the speaker leads touch something that's grounded. This will take out the output transistors internal to the unit and cause it to go into Protect mode. Unfortunately the only solution is to send the unit to a service center and have them diagnose which outputs are shorted, and replace them, then re bias the unit if necessary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As you are the expert, please inform me of what cost range my repair for this unit will be. ??? How much will it cost roughly per transistor to replace and/or the entire board if thats the case...?? This surround sound entire system is roughly $399, with price fluctuating due to its time on the market. At what point with your background, do you advise consumers that it is more cost effective to just purchase a new one and toss the old one...? My other concern is repairing this one, and then for whatever reason it just wont operate in its normal mode. Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, It's hard to say for sure of course depending on what type of transistor it uses, and availability but the average cost would be roughly $25-$30 per transistor and labor to replace them and re bias the unit would be close to $125 or so. You could be into the unit for over half of what you paid for it. I honestly would not put the money into the Sony as they are known for this problem happening. My recommendation would be to purchase a Yamaha as bar none, they have the best price performance ratio and also the best reliability in the field in this price range.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!