Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have an Onkyo TA-2600 cassette deck, and the head/pinch roller

Customer Question

I have an Onkyo TA-2600 cassette deck, and the head/pinch roller assembly sometimes gets stuck in the playback position when a tape binds. The light on the "play" button flashes, and the head assembly will not retract. I have not been able to get the heads to retract without disassembling the whole unit and manually moving the worm gear on the motor which makes the head assembly move up and down. Needless to say, this is a pain. Is there any way to make this assembly move without taking everything apart?
Thanks
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site,

Should you still need assistance...

Initially, it could either be a mechanical issue or that the motor has insufficient start-up torque.

If it were mechanical, then it would require dis-assembly, cleaning and re-lubrication with particular attention to the motor itself (80-b) as well as the cam follower (80-d). Worst case scenario, replace motor (if available).

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

If it were electronic, then possible workarounds are:
  • place capacitors 1000 μF / 16V on the collector & on the emitter of Q705 to ground;
  • replace Q706, M54544AL;
  • worst case scenario, modify the circuitry. Replace D702 with a 10 V zener diode. Consider only as a last resort. This would increase the voltage supplied to the controller Q706 and then to the motor.

Register Here

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Edited by Benimur on 9/19/2010 at 6:40 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Please let me attempt these fixes before I accept the answer.

In the interim, thank you for your assistance.

Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
I understand.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
Any updates?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry, but I haven't had the time to get into it... I have disassembled the tape deck, though not yet the transport mechanism (to lubricate the cam follower and the motor). I will also run to Radio Shack tomorrow to get the capacitors. I've had too many other things to do in the evenings after work to start new projects.

I will try though! Sorry to keep you waiting.

Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
No problem. Let me know if and when.

This is not an Info Request.

Edited by Benimur on 9/24/2010 at 11:35 PM EST